PDA

View Full Version : MWG Rendition and Thank You for Smoking Discussion!

Celticmaidn
04-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Movie Watchers Guild Rendition and Thank You For Smoking discussion. Please watch both these movies and discuss them here. You do not need to be Guild member to participate. Once you have seriously discussed both movies I will increase your reputation. Nice bonus!!!
If you wish to join to Guild check out social groups and participation is required.

redsoxpatriot30
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I saw only one of the two because I wanted to get it out of the way as I was hesitant about watching it. Rendition was a very good film with some excellent performances from Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal to only name a few. I had to look away from some parts of the movie because they were fairly graphic...especially the torture scenes. Before I start giving my opinion on the theme at hand, I think the lack of subtitles in some parts left the viewer in the dark and we could only interpret what was going on based on body language. Maybe they wanted us in the dark...I don't know.

Now...about the government. This is so weird that we're watching this just as waterboarding is reappearing in the news. It shows how paranoid the government is about these types of things and how far they will go to get the truth...or what they want to hear. I copied down a line that Anwar said..."Tell me what to say. I'll say it." This is after he's told them (quite a few times) that he has no idea what the phone calls are. Torture can be helpful (but not morally right), and the result may be skewed as it was here. Good movie that expresses this...Tina, this was very good.

In the next two days, I'll watch Thank You for Smoking...it looks even better.

Celticmaidn
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Both these movies are so good. Rendition does have some graphic scenes and the parts that were in all Arabic were suppose to kinda lead us to that twist ending. I think it was to make us see people for who they are even when we don't understand their words.

Thank you for smoking shows us exactly how corrupt a lobbying can be. It is sick how $ is what truly drives us and not what is actually best for us.

redsoxpatriot30
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
I like your analysis, Tina, on Rendition...that was probably exactly what they were going for.

Thank You for Smoking...how dark can you get? However, this was so entertaining and flew through its 90 minutes... Aaron Eckhart was the perfect guy for this...and I couldn't help thinking about two-face from The Dark Knight...what a great film. (Tina, we should seriously consider this for analysis...)

As I read numerous reviews online of this, we obviously know that this is not about smoking but about lobbying. Take, for example, the former tobacco model...he took that money even though this money came from the people who practically gave him the cancer. So much irony! I didn't get at first the whole kidnapping/nicotine patch incident but I looked for a plot synopsis and figured it out. The more funnier part was when he asked the doctor to record that statement that smoking saved his life. This intelligent film had so much to say and was right about the MODs...fast food is another topic up for debate... This is where Food, Inc. could come in Tina :D

Out of the two, I have to say Thank You for Smoking was better...however, both got the word out on the government... And how weird is it that JK Simmons was in both?! I'll never forget his character from Spider-Man...:D Until next MWG discussion...

bala
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Well i honestly don't know what i think about thank you for smoking mainly because i found it boring and yes there were entaining parts but seeing a character who's a tobacco lobbist was intresting to see but at charcter poined out someone has to do it-what surprised me was katie holmes i never thought she would that kind of role but i suppose we really didn't see much of her but i loved how she used him to do the artcle kind suggest she manipulated him and she did get the story. Money rules world i suppose everyone has mortagage to pay but ending moblie phone spokeman is more of an improvement than tobacco.

Rendition - Well this was a graphic flim and i can't believe america would have this system in place i think it's wrong but in the end what can you do reese withspoon did excellent performance in this role. i really enjoyed this flim more than thank you for smoking. it keep my interest.