PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Films

imarielle
01-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I was just wondering if this site will be offering foreign films, as in films filmed in languages other than English with subtitles. I was watching a great Israeli film in class today which just happens to be one of my favorite movies and the thought came to mind. I don't know if it is possible because I don't know what your source is, but I've been trying to find a specific film and it would be awesome if it was added to this site. The film's English title is Someone to Run With. Thanks.

thebest2k8
01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
i think more foreign films would be great there are a couple of seen that i have really enjoyed, will be back to add the names of those movies, and hopefully they can get them on here

imarielle
01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
I've got a list of foreign films in my mind too. But I'm waiting to hear back form an admin if it is possible for them to get ahold of foreign films before I list them. I don't know how they get the sources so they might only have access to American films.

thebest2k8
01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
yea that is probably true but there some geat foreign films out there that would be a great asset to the site

lexi10
01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Subtitles is really really needed! :D

Birdhm
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, why not, I've seen some good foreign films, but agree they need subtitles for us English speaking people. :)

thebest2k8
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
yes definitely, but that should be a problem seeing as many do have sub titles or they should lol

imarielle
01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
To answer my own question. Admin has notified us that at this moment foreign films will not be added to the site. Hollywood films are those in highest demand so those are the ones they have in their database and will be adding.

thebest2k8
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
yea buut hopefully eventually they will consider to add more, because there some really good ones

bool
02-05-2009, 10:07 PM
i don't think it would be a good idea at this time to include foreign films here... for one, only those few people who speak the language will be able to understand it well despite the english subtitles.... also it's kind of awkward to watch the acting of the actors while at the same time reading the subtitles....it's very distracting and you will miss the emotion of the scene...another is, since this is just a new site and considering the number of foreign films with different world languages, it may outnumber the english films thus occupying more space in the server than the english films that everyone understands regardless of country of origin....

but don't lose hope...perhaps admin will consider this in the future...:)l

thebest2k8
02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
i don't think it would be a good idea at this time to include foreign films here... for one, only those few people who speak the language will be able to understand it well despite the english subtitles.... also it's kind of awkward to watch the acting of the actors while at the same time reading the subtitles....it's very distracting and you will miss the emotion of the scene...another is, since this is just a new site and considering the number of foreign films with different world languages, it may outnumber the english films thus occupying more space in the server than the english films that everyone understands regardless of country of origin....

but don't lose hope...perhaps admin will consider this in the future...:)l

well i think the acting is great, great story line, very real and emotional and any one can read along while watching a film its called multitasking:)

waterlilybarb
02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I think everyone is different. I happen to really enjoy foreign films and have no trouble following the story while reading the subtitles. In fact, I MUCH prefer subtitled foreign films to those that have been dubbed.

As for whether we'll ever have them here, only time will tell. I understand the higher demand for Hollywood movies - especially while they are building their film library.

stardaz
02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know to many people that like to read the movie.

trulee
02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I would welcome english subtitled foreign films. I have no trouble watching them - I watch most if not all of my tv watching at home with subtitiles :D.

shinny
02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I think everyone is different. I happen to really enjoy foreign films and have no trouble following the story while reading the subtitles. In fact, I MUCH prefer subtitled foreign films to those that have been dubbed.

As for whether we'll ever have them here, only time will tell. I understand the higher demand for Hollywood movies - especially while they are building their film library.

I totally agree. I love subtitled foreign films and it's a nice way to practice my basic French or Italian :p

thebest2k8
02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
yes subtitles for sure, not all of us can speak 6 different languages lol :)

bool
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
well i think the acting is great, great story line, very real and emotional and any one can read along while watching a film its called multitasking:)

i don't know...i just can't connect myself to the scene when i'm watching foreign film with english subtitle.... i can't concentrate because i have to toggle my eyes between the subtitle and the actors in the scene...well perhaps i need to upgrade the os of my brain to multitasking one....:p

thebest2k8
02-10-2009, 07:29 PM
i don't know...i just can't connect myself to the scene when i'm watching foreign film with english subtitle.... i can't concentrate because i have to toggle my eyes between the subtitle and the actors in the scene...well perhaps i need to upgrade the os of my brain to multitasking one....:p

well everyone is different, but i don't know how hard is it to read along while your watching,:)

NipponNewfie
02-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Perhaps if enough people request it, they will consider some foreign films with English subtitles. There are a lot of good foreign films out there to choose from - at least the Oscar foreign film nominees might be of interest to some people. I was very surprised to discover it wasn't even a category. And the "Independent Film" category has no films - another disappointment. Hopefully as this site grows their film repertoire can grow as well to be more inclusive.

mekaty
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
yea buut hopefully eventually they will consider to add more, because there some really good ones

I think due to lack of audience, the moderator is not going for this facility. Majority of people are English speaking.