PDA

View Full Version : MWG The Painted Veil and P.S. I Love You!

Celticmaidn
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Movie Watchers Guild The Painted Veil and PS I Love You discussion. Please watch both these movies and discuss them here. You do not need to be Guild member to participate. Once you have seriously discussed both movies I will increase your reputation. Nice bonus!!!
If you wish to join to Guild check out social groups and participation is required.

waterlilybarb
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Very different movies, but both well told love stories.

The Painted Veil is a good period drama that those who enjoy reading will recognize as a story by Somerset Maugham...just by the style alone. Ed Norton does a stellar job portraying a young doctor who marries a woman he feels he can love enough for the both of them. Their relationship is the main plot, though the story does a good job in filling in some of the history of British colonialism in China in the 1920's.

P.S. I Love You is a completely different take on love. It's heart-breaking and reaffirming at the same time. Gerry Butler does a great job (even though he isn't actually in much of the film) in reminding us of what romantic love can be like, including the infuriating side of it. Hilary Swank does great, and it's nice to see her in a role that allows her to portray a strong feminine woman...without making her seem like her life is nothing without a man in it.

I really enjoyed both films - for completely different reasons, and I know these are movies I will be able to come back to in a year or 5 and still enjoy them.

shinny
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
The Painted Veil
This was a very slow moving story, but I absolutely loved this film. It's a demonstration in how you can grow to love someone when you may not have seen anything there in the first place. It shows how people can change and become better people. I think they both did great jobs at playing their characters. I'm not a big Naomi Watts fan, but I think she was great in this. I'm not ashamed to say that I had shed a little tear at the end either!!
I give it 8/10.

P.S. I love you
Right, where do I start? I didn't like this film. I thought it was pretty poor. I read the book a few years back and I don't think the film really conveyed the story all that well. If I even put aside the terrible Irish accents (and there were a few, mainly Gerald Butler who should have found it easier being Scottish!) I just didn't like the portrayal of the book.
Some trivia for you. The book was written by Cecilia Ahern who's father was the Prime Minister (An Taoiseach) of Ireland up until recently.
I give it 4/10

waterlilybarb
04-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Interestingly, I saw P.S. I Love You on DVD and Cecelia Ahern loved the film. I haven't read the book, but I know from the interviews that the movie was quite a departure from the book. Aside from the accents (which were bad), I liked the film on it's own merits. I think this is one of those that you have to forget what the book was like and accept as it's own story...though everyone is allowed their own opinion and taste. :)

Circle of Friends is one like that. I have read the book, actually all of Maeve Binchy's books, and seen the movie. The film is NOT true to the story, but both were enjoyable as their own entities (aside from Chris O'Donnell's particularly bad Irish accent - never mind anyone else's :D).

shinny
04-09-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree that sometimes you need to look at a movie on it's own merit and doing that, I still didn't like it. I think the premise was very good, but like i said, the delivery of that premise just didn't do it for me.

I loved circle of friend, bad accents and all, I'd read the book too but this was one film where I think it did the original story justice.

Cecilia Ahern acted as a consultant on this movie, so I'm not sure she could give an unbiased opinion.

I just looked at rotten tomatoes just to see if I'm way off the "general" opinion and looks like I'm not:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/shinnyryan/PSIloveyou.jpg

Actually, that's a good point they made about Hilary Swank. I'd agree that she was miscast as a "romantic" character in this film. Maybe that's where it went wrong for me.

Interestingly The Painted Veil does very well on Rotten Tomatoes:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/shinnyryan/ThePaintedVeil.jpg

waterlilybarb
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I often disagree with rotten tomatoes, so I'm not surprised that it got such a low score there and I still liked it. My taste in movies is quite eclectic, and often based more on if it made me feel anything than the content.

As for Hilary Swank, though she wouldn't have been my first choice to cast in the lead role, I think it she did a good job, and found it refreshing to see her in something that allowed her to be a bit more feminine.

I watched it the 1st time some time last year, and it was the 1st movie in I don't remember how long that actually made me cry. I wasn't weepy when I watched it again, but for me, a film that can touch me on an emotional level is a good one (it doesn't have to make me cry to fit that criteria). I'm sure I would enjoy the book, probably a lot more than the film, and I'll add it to my list of books I'd like to read.

Celticmaidn
04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok I watched both films and have to say I enjoyed both.

Though of course I hated the end of painted veil, you know I need my happy ending.
The film overall was so good and so true. Her idea of love was so screwed up until she was forced to look at his character.

PS I love you, I can see why you didn't like Hillary in this role but overall the movie was awesome. I smiled and cried the whole way through and loved the ending. Since I am not Irish no ones accent bothered me. hehehe

sddvasquez
04-18-2009, 02:18 PM
wow. i was totally expecting p.s. i love you to be a most awfully painful experience from the description but i actually watched the whole thing and didn't feel like i needed a shower afterward. i must ask though, how many times are we going to be teased by harry connick jr. in a movie with a lot of singing and not a single note from him. AAAAARRRRGGGH. ok, ok, i like him as an actor but he totally rocks as a singer. and someone needs to be punished for that horrible hair they gave him:mad: lisa kudrow did not overact too insanely much here and kathy bates gave a solid performance as usual.

the painted veil was a great adaptation. i loved how well the "love at last too late" played without being sickly sweet. edward norton is wonderful. his awfulness and quiet reconsiderations didn't run rampant over the scenes but were very powerful. i am always amazed at that parts he picks. diana rigg (mother superior) and toby jones (waddington) were brilliant supporting actors and liev schreiber was fabulous as the philandering charlie townsend.

all in all, the painted veil was more my cup of tea but p.s. i love you was not unwatchable.;)

waterlilybarb
04-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I totally agree. I love Harry's voice, and was waiting for him to sing, his hair was hideous, and Lisa Kudrow was watchable and believable.

Ed Norton never fails to surprise me, and the supporting cast was really well picked. Just a great calibre of actors who played their parts just right.

The Painted Veil was my preference too - I do enjoy a well done period drama, but both entertained me enough to watch them each a couple times. :)

Celticmaidn
04-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Well since everyone is all caught up I guess it is time to post the next movies we selected. and also time to select new categories for our movies so please go to our group thread.
:)