PDA

View Full Version : What's going to stop this site getting shut down by the authorities?

numbflux
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
anything?...

numbflux
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
and is anyone worried that the site keeps logs of all the videos that you watch? - so if it does get shut down, the RIAA has a complete record of everything that you watched and can easily come after you

kahmeleone
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
If you're worried about it why are you here?

numbflux
01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
just wondering why the logs are necessary at this point - particularly why IP logs are necessary, i can understand keeping a log for a username but the IP log is just dangerous

kahmeleone
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Interesting point; thanks for not taking things personally:)

thebest2k8
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
thats a good point keeping IP addresses can be a problem in the long run, maybe someone should email the admin about this concern and see what they say i have sent a message and i suggest everyone else do the same so that they see that this is a major concern among the members

imarielle
01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I can see and IP log being necessary once this site is no longer free to prevent multiple users under one username. especially if there are ways to earn MGs without paying (ie through the forum)

numbflux
01-15-2009, 11:20 PM
perhaps a log that expires after 1 week or something would suffice - rather than leaving a long paper trail straight to you

bala
01-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Well here the thing this site doesn't offer download faclity it only allows streaming which is legal by the way according US legislation someone told me. i don't know about other countries legislation but movies are all american i assume they can't do anything about it.

i wouldn't worry about ip address it's your provider that sued not you :).

numbflux
01-16-2009, 03:20 AM
But the record companies keep forcing youtube to take down videos.

"YouTube routinely removes content based on the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown provisions, which grants safe harbor to web sites that promptly remove content if someone alleges it infringes on their copyrights."

"Warner Music Group, CBS, Fox News, and other media conglomerates have all sent YouTube takedown notices"

Dont get me wrong - if this is legal then i'm 100000% in favor of it

bala
01-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Yes here my legislation

US Copyright Code Title 17, Chapter 1, § 111. Limitations on exclusive rights: Secondary transmissions, subsection a5:
(a) Certain Secondary Transmissions Exempted.— The secondary transmission of a performance or display of a work embodied in a primary transmission is not an infringement of copyright if—
(5) the secondary transmission is not made by a cable system but is made by a governmental body, or other nonprofit organization, without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, and without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service.

Subsection 3 might also apply but I am not entirely sure as it would apply more to the free side then the VIP side.

(3) the secondary transmission is made by any carrier who has no direct or indirect control over the content or selection of the primary transmission or over the particular recipients of the secondary transmission, and whose activities with respect to the secondary transmission consist solely of providing wires, cables, or other communications channels for the use of others: Provided, That the provisions of this clause extend only to the activities of said carrier with respect to secondary transmissions and do not exempt from liability the activities of others with respect to their own primary or secondary transmissions;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000111----000-.html

numbflux
01-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I believe those laws are to protect the ISPs - so the ISP has no liability for what you download - because they are effectively copying the stream to send it to you

barrt814
01-18-2009, 04:34 AM
The domain name is .cc, Cocos Island. Not sure if US law extends out that way. Youko and Tudou also have a LOT of US material, but they are Chinese video hosting sites (and terribly slow and unreliable). Never saw a movie get taken down due to DMCA on those sites.

heluvagr8flik
01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I think one must be in possession of copy written material to be charged or be uploading it. We are streaming it just like we do on Youtube. On Youtube it is the up loader/poster that gets prosecuted if the material belongs to somebody else, not the viewers of videos. I feel we as viewers don't have anything to worry about.

DON'T WORRY...BE HAPPY! :D

etworm
01-20-2009, 11:22 PM
We only offer streaming service that does NOT violate distribution protection law.

And regarding IP logs, our system only record IP addresses that members logged in to watch movies in recent one month which are strictly safeguarded on our own server and we never offer it to any third part.

thebest2k8
01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
thank you for that bit on the IP addresses because i know myself and a lot of other members were a little worried about that, and that the site not being illegal is just geat..:D

amingermany
12-26-2009, 05:36 AM
It is illegal to have movies saved on your harddrive, being in possesion of a illegally acquired or copy right infringed a show, not illegal to watch over streaming internet. The users are safe.