PDA

View Full Version : MWG Inkheart and Bedtime Stories discussion

Celticmaidn
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Movie Watchers Guild Inkheart and Bedtime Stories discussion. Please watch both these movies and discuss them here. You do not need to be Guild member to participate. Once you have seriously discussed both movies I will increase your reputation. Nice bonus!!!
If you wish to join to Guild check out social groups and participation is required. ;)

bala
03-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Both movies were very good but if i had to be honest bedtime stories was so much better than ink heart mainly because it had decent love story. The problem i had with inkheart was brendan fraiser i'm a big fan of his movies but if you compared inkheart to the mummy it was disappointing hence why i was left disappointed by the end of inkheart. i was expecting ink heart to just be simlar to the mummy but it wasn't.:(

Bedtime stories was funny and interesting to watch , once you heard stories you wonder how they would work in reality and i think that they did fantastic job. i love adam sandler movies and he struck gold coming up with an original flim was nice and enjoyable to watch.

Inheart- seriously the daughter was also a sliver tongue felt a little to obvious. if i over look that the film did have some nice fantasy sequence which were nice to see and i suppose if i was kid i might of enjoyed a lot more. The mother returning was nice touch.:)

So I'm not sure if anyone else agrees with this but I'm just stating my opinion. i consider myself independent movie reviewer not belong any group :)

waterlilybarb
03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
I've only seen Bedtime Stories so far, but found it thoroughly entertaining. I had actually mixed them up in my head and kept wondering when Brendan Fraser was going to show up. lol

I loved the premise, and thought it was a nice film that the whole family could watch together and everyone could find something they would like about it.

Hopefully I'll get to watch Inkheart in the next day or two, as I'd like to contrast & compare the two movies - though they are very different (I'm assuming).

Celticmaidn
03-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Bala, I need to see bedtime stories but I did enjoy inkheart. :)

bala
03-27-2009, 10:48 PM
May i make request next MWG topic please :)

Marley And Me & Yes Man

waterlilybarb
03-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Why not join the MWG Bala? Feel free to post suggestions here. (http://www.movieforum.cc/group.php?groupid=3) :)

bala
03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
because i don't like to be told which movies to watch

i watch movie i want to watch rather watch movie other ask.

only reason i posted a comment on this is that this is the first MWG topic where i have seen both flims.

waterlilybarb
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes, but you could participate in choosing the movies that we discuss. You watch more movies than most of us, so I'm sure you've seen (or will see) most that we choose. Just a thought.

BTW, does someone have to be a member of a "Social Group" to post in their chat thread? If not, you could check what we're leaning towards and make some suggestions too. It's always nice to have other movies in the mix, as it makes paring them down more fun, and can make the discussion more interesting.

bala
03-28-2009, 01:31 PM
actually no i tend focus free movies getting added until they slow down :)

right with all errors going on experience isn't as enjoyable as it was when it started.

notice i'm not complaining about errors mainly because i figured out if i stay log-in during the day than when error happen log-in i'm already log-in so i'm able watch the movies :lol:

waterlilybarb
03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
So do you find if you just don't shut down your computer you're not having problems? Just wondering for myself, because I generally shut everything down at night, and usually put it in standby mode during the day if I'm not using my computer.

I'm off to watch Inkheart now. It looks good, so I'm hoping I enjoy it.

p.s. I did watch Yes Man and liked it. It was funny, but not in that really crude juvenile way, and I liked the story.

bala
03-28-2009, 10:56 PM
i shut down my computer i just every morning i log-in stay log-in until i go bed than shut the computer:)

vortash
03-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Dear Bala after watching both Inkheart and Bedtime stories I am slightly confused , you said you prefered Bedtime stories as it was a romance .
What bigger romance could you have than that of a man who inadvertantly , caused the disapearance of a loved one then spends the rest of his life trying to get her back .
Got to say devotion like that is pretty romantic dont you think , I agree Brendan Fraiser does seem to pop up frequently in this type of movie .
But I think that could be put down to the quality of the actor concerened and the fact people now associate him with action packed movies, a little like Harrison Ford if you think of him it's either Indiana Jones or Hans Solo that comes to mind . I found Bedtime stories to be sureal and what I would call a wish picture built around human desire to obtain things ?.
Inkheart however was a story of much greater depth worthy of JK Rowling type stories or even H G Wells pure fanatsy .
Dont get me wrong I enjoyed both films but for me Inkheart had a plot and characters you wanted to see get their come uppance , I mean didnt you think !! Yes !! when the villain was destroyed by his own demon the Shadow I know I did . ..Vortash

bala
03-29-2009, 02:06 AM
i suppose it depends on define romance i can see what you mean by your comment but come on it obvious she was going come back but that wasn't only reason why i liked bedtime stories- the second reason i mention was the fact i found it interesting how they incorporated bedtime stories into the real life of the film. when i mean romance in bedtime stories i refer to surprise of character finding out babysitter was girl for him not that spoilt rich kid.

vortash
03-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Well of course it was obvious she was going to come back but the twist was she had already been back for a long time and he didn't know ?.
it wasn't also above the realms of possibility that his child had the same powers as he did also .. but what an immaganative story , and you have to admit you did cheer when that obnoxious little twit was fried ?
With Bedtime stories it was obvious he was going to find love and also quite obvious who it would be ... who could stand up to the charms of the over exstatic Mr Brand after all the debutante was history in the first scene lol.
Also this was Adam Sandler we are talking about the Baby sitter was a far better babe .... The man has style ? ..........Vortash

Celticmaidn
03-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Well I enjoyed both films. And found them both to be different enough from each other that you did not feel in anyway you were watching the same film twice not nor did you have any deja vu. :)

waterlilybarb
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree. I just finished watching Inkheart and found it to be a very entertaining and imaginative story. It wasn't at all like Bedtime Stories - the whole tone of it was different.

I think they were both very good stories that anyone could enjoy - young or old. Those are my favourite type. :)

waterlilybarb
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree. I just finished watching Inkheart and found it to be a very entertaining and imaginative story. It wasn't at all like Bedtime Stories - the whole tone of it was different.

I think they were both very good stories that anyone could enjoy - young or old. Those are my favourite type. :)

m0viem0nster
03-31-2009, 03:41 AM
Whilst both films had a similar theme of stories coming to life, they are in fact totally different concepts. Bedtime stories made situations occur whilst inkheart had the appearance of various fictitious characters.
I for one preferred Inkheart over Bedtime stories. Adam Sandler movies are way too shmaltzy and overacted. I think they could have done so much more with both films, but the one that gave less has to be Sandler's. I felt there was so much more it could have done in terms of comic situations and the love story was just not believable.

Inkheart had much better characters and a more believable love story. Brendan Fraiser toned down his acting a lot more and was less over the top and shouty. It was as though for the first time he understood where his character was coming from and what drove him. Usually he relies on trying to be funny with wisecracks and funny surprised faces. I think this time he saw that the story was strong enough to carry the movie and he was along for the ride rather than feeling he had to take the responsibility for the films success. I felt that the cast of Inkheart was strong and all had an equal share in the story.

Bedtime Stories might hold the attention of younger children, but there is a lot for them to be bored with.
Inkheart, although I wouldn't recommend it for younger kids (especially when the Shadow appears), had more all round family entertainment.
So thumbs up for Brendan and a knee in the groin for Sandler.

vortash
04-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Couldnt agree more Monster .. I think everyone is still seeing Fraiser as George Of the Jungle lol .. Ha ha ha ha and maybe that tree did more damage to him than we thought lol .. But your right in this film he was excellent and I am in total agreement with you .. :D

sddvasquez
04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
finally i've seen both movies and the group has already moved on to the next two!:(

anyway, i must agree with the general sentiment. inkheart was a much better movie - stronger storyline, better acting, better effects. it is hard to get a whole novel in two hours though so i can understand some of bala's frustration that parts of the story were introduced too quickly and seemed too irrational to hang together while bedtime stories can get away with much more nonsense - in a bedtime story the more nonsensical the better, no?

i did not mind having to see this adam sandler movie, though, and that is not something i can say of all his work. hearing all the "fire" songs on the radio when he's worried about getting "fired" was not genius but it was quite amusing.

inkheart is our hands-down winner, though. we love paul bettany (a knight's tale's chaucer, remember!) and the tarsier gives gwin two furry thumbs up;)

waterlilybarb
04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I totally remember Paul Bettany in as Chaucer, also his role in A Beautiful Mind, which (though it was very different) I found a some similarities to in Inkheart. I haven't had an opportunity to read the book, but I think the movie moved me to add it to my "to read" list...which is getting WAY out of control. lol I just have too much on my plate at the moment to read the stuff I'd like to, and my brain isn't with it enough to actually take in and enjoy it, so I'm waiting until I can enjoy reading for pleasure again...most likely once I'm settled after moving.

I'm not always an Adam Sandler fan either, but I agree that this was one I enjoyed watching, nonsense and all. It was just fun. :)

redsoxpatriot30
04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I saw Inkheart today and it was very good for a kid's movie...not the best one nor the best fantasy movie, but it was enjoyable and I liked it. It was a tad predictable but the fun is getting there and I had fun. Helen Mirren is suitable for this role as an aunt attached to her books.

The problem with films like these is they usually don't generate a lot of money so they aren't always popping up in theaters. I wish they would make the sequel... Sometimes I wish it wasn't about the money... Well, I will try to see Bedtime Stories within the week...even though this thread is pretty much done.

Celticmaidn
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
We look forward to your insights. :)

waterlilybarb
04-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Funny, I never thought of Inkheart as kids movie. It was a good story, which is the main criteria for movies I tend to enjoy. I wouldn't let young children watch it, but it is one that could be enjoyed by people of varying ages...including big kids like me. :)