PDA

View Full Version : Favourite films from when you were young!

steph290504
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Ive just been sorting out my sons video collection and found a few of the ones i gave him and it made me wonder what films you all remember as your faves from when you were young.

The Dark Crystal is one of mine, i remember that film scared me the first time i saw it but i watched it hundreds of times after that.

Red Sonja :D ok i know not one of their best films but i think i was only about 7 when i saw this and i thought it was brilliant. I remember watching it 7 times in one day..it was raining outside lol

Labyrinth. I loved this and knew all the songs off by heart.

Legend. I was a massive tom cruise fan and i loved this film.

Apart from red sonja i still have all the other films and occasionally still watch them :D

thebest2k8
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
couple of my favorite movies when i was young, were The mighty ducks, 1 2 , and 3, Aladdin :D, The karate kid ,and hook with robin Williams i believe

m0viem0nster
03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
1 Million Years BC made a big impression on me (well a couple of impressions) plus you could look at it without having to understand anything apart from "Ugh" and being young you could use the excuse of looking at it for the (ahem) dinosaurs and get away with it.

Another was the film "She" and the early bond films, particularly Dr No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger.

Peter Sellers Pink Panther films. Laurel & Hardy & Charlie Chaplin films

waterlilybarb
03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Most of my favourite movies as a kid were older movies that aired yearly on TV or were re-released in theaters every 5 years or so. Since there weren't VCRs back then, that was the only time you got to see those, and it was always a big deal when they were on.

Here are a few I loved:

The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - a little creepy for young kids (especially the scene on the boat), but Gene Wilder is awesome in that movie
Peter Pan (1960 - with Mary Martin) cheesy, but I still loved it :D

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind for now. :)

gypsiegirl66
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Most of my favourite movies as a kid were older movies that aired yearly on TV or were re-released in theaters every 5 years or so. Since there weren't VCRs back then, that was the only time you got to see those, and it was always a big deal when they were on.

Here are a few I loved:

The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - a little creepy for young kids (especially the scene on the boat), but Gene Wilder is awesome in that movie
Peter Pan (1960 - with Mary Martin) cheesy, but I still loved it :D

[/COLOR][/B]

All of the above!!

I also saw the first Star Wars movie 52x, at the movie theater. There was an ongoing rivalry as to who could see it the most, with the kids in my neighborhood. That's how I remember the exact number. I happen to have won that contest. :D

It was one of my fav's, which made it easy to re-watch!

waterlilybarb
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
52 times! You must be able to recite the entire movie after that. lol

I did see Star Wars and also Grease (my cousin saw it 11x in theater - wouldn't have won your contest:D) in the theater - both of which I really enjoyed. :)

All of the above!!

I also saw the first Star Wars movie 52x, at the movie theater. There was an ongoing rivalry as to who could see it the most, with the kids in my neighborhood. That's how I remember the exact number. I happen to have won that contest. :D

It was one of my fav's, which made it easy to re-watch!

Celticmaidn
03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Ive just been sorting out my sons video collection and found a few of the ones i gave him and it made me wonder what films you all remember as your faves from when you were young.

The Dark Crystal is one of mine, i remember that film scared me the first time i saw it but i watched it hundreds of times after that.

Red Sonja :D ok i know not one of their best films but i think i was only about 7 when i saw this and i thought it was brilliant. I remember watching it 7 times in one day..it was raining outside lol

Labyrinth. I loved this and knew all the songs off by heart.

Legend. I was a massive tom cruise fan and i loved this film.

Apart from red sonja i still have all the other films and occasionally still watch them :D
Originally Posted by waterlilybarb View Post

Here are a few I loved:

* The Wizard of Oz
* The Sound of Music
* Mary Poppins
* Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - a little creepy for young kids (especially the scene on the boat), but Gene Wilder is awesome in that movie
* Peter Pan (1960 - with Mary Martin) cheesy, but I still loved it

all of these plus Oliver twist " I'd do anything, For you dear anything"(Anything?)yes I'd do anything, anything for you."

Star Wars
ET
Any USA up all night movies, killer clowns from outspace and of course kung fu movies.
I also would stay up and watch Elvira with my mom.

thebest2k8
03-11-2009, 08:49 PM
all of these plus Oliver twist " I'd do anything, For you dear anything"(Anything?)yes I'd do anything, anything for you."

Star Wars
ET
Any USA up all night movies, killer clowns from outspace and of course kung fu movies.
I also would stay up and watch Elvira with my mom.

Star wars and ET were also two of my favs when i was a kid, and the chocolate factory

shinny
03-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Labyrinth. I loved this and knew all the songs off by heart

Steph, I loved The Labyrinth when I was younger too and I knew all the songs off by heart. A brilliant film. I kinda had a crush on David Bowie, lol!!

Other favourites of mine when I was younger:

The Flight of the Navigator
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (I'd read all the Roald Dhal books!!)
War Games
D.A.R.Y.L.
The Goonies !!
Grease (I still love it!)
The Little Rascals
Back to the Future
The Princess Bride (loved this film and was forever quoting it!!)
Ruthless People (one of the funniest films of all time!)
Superman
Beaches
Dirty Dancing!!
Beetle juice
Ghost Busters
Adventures in babysitting

gypsiegirl66
03-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Steph, I loved The Labyrinth when I was younger too and I knew all the songs off by heart. A brilliant film. I kinda had a crush on David Bowie, lol!!

Other favourites of mine when I was younger:

The Flight of the Navigator
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (I'd read all the Roald Dhal books!!)
War Games
D.A.R.Y.L.
The Goonies !!
Grease (I still love it!)
The Little Rascals
Back to the Future
The Princess Bride (loved this film and was forever quoting it!!)
Ruthless People (one of the funniest films of all time!)
Superman
Beaches
Dirty Dancing!!
Beetle juice
Ghost Busters
Adventures in babysitting

Wow, do I feel old....:D

Benji
Pippi Longstocking

Celticmaidn
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I loved Benji and pippi, also raggedy ann and andy. The original toy story.

steph290504
03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
OMG how could i forget flight of the navigator and Dirty Dancing both fantastic films from my youth.

Goonies was brilliant too "hey you guys" ROFL:D

waterlilybarb
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
The Princess Bride didn't come out until I was in my teens, and I didn't see it until I was in my 20's - but I've made up for it by watching it countless times since then.

I forgot that I loved The Bad News Bears movies as a kid. I also really liked The Apple Dumpling Gang - I wouldn't call it a favourite, but it was fun and my friends & I could go see it on our own.

shinny
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
OMG how could i forget flight of the navigator and Dirty Dancing both fantastic films from my youth.

Goonies was brilliant too "hey you guys" ROFL:D

Lol Steph. Sloth !!

My friend's husband got bells palsy a few months ago and you can imagine that they got quite a fright as one side of his face dropped, which can be similar to a stroke. Anyway, they went to the hospital and they soon diagnosed Bells Palsy, so they were both quite relieved.

My friend is a hilarious character and she jokingly started to call him sloth, from the goonies. So the next day I sent her this picture. She said she nearly splurted her tea all over her computer when she saw it:

http://www.basketusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sloth-goonies.jpg

He's fine now by the way! It righted itself within a couple of weeks.

gypsiegirl66
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Ahh, The Bad News Bears,,,definitely some of my fav's!!

Escape to Witch Mountain
Return from Witch Mountain
Marry Poppins
Bednob's and Broomsticks
Cinderella
101 Dalmations
Snow White
Alice in Wonderland
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

steph290504
03-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Lol Steph. Sloth !!

My friend's husband got bells palsy a few months ago and you can imagine that they got quite a fright as one side of his face dropped, which can be similar to a stroke. Anyway, they went to the hospital and they soon diagnosed Bells Palsy, so they were both quite relieved.

My friend is a hilarious character and she jokingly started to call him sloth, from the goonies. So the next day I sent her this picture. She said she nearly splurted her tea all over her computer when she saw it:

http://www.basketusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sloth-goonies.jpg

He's fine now by the way! It righted itself within a couple of weeks.

Well thank goodness for that!

I do the same type of thing, my OH broke his leg recently and i have nothing but take the mikey out of him LOL my favourite names for him are peg leg and Long John Silver.

Back on subject i can remember clash of the titans was a film i loved to watch when i was younger and i still do now when its repeated.

kahmeleone
03-13-2009, 03:44 AM
The Many Adentures of Winnie the Pooh!

and all the Snoopy movies you'd see on the holidaze and in between...

and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Pippi was awesome, chewing those nails...

Star Wars , and ET... many have been mentioned; I"m gonna have to think on it some more!!!

kevin_gummow
05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
hi my favourite film when i was young is star wars just a amazing film the music, the action, im 45 now and still like it

galiciadba
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I loved, and still love, Peterpan and Mulan!

I cried everytime I watched Mulan!

Hypechic
05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
For me, favorite movies were

Sound of Music
The King and I(massive crush on Yul Bryner)
Gone with the wind
Oliver Twist
Beaches(was already in my late teens when I saw it)
Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans

I think there are others but they don't come to mind right now..:D

Dannie
06-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Some of my favourite movies from my youth were...(in no particular order)

Goonies
Dirty Dancing
Melody
Hell Raiser
Nightmare on Elm Street
Running on Empty
Top Gun
Short Circuit
Pump up the volume
Ghost

and far too many more to mention lol....good thread btw :0)

iklemiracle
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Pretty In Pink
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Beulers Day off
Greece
Lost Boys
The Sound of Music
The Blues Brothers
Field of Dreams
Working Girl
Some like it hot

:)

georgedepp
12-17-2011, 06:40 AM
My favourite films when I was young:
1. Ghost Rider.
2. American Pie.
3. *** and the city.
4. Wanted.
5. Titanic.

JessiStani
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
“Titanic” is the only movie which is my favourite since my young age. I truly love the love story between Jack and Rose in this movie.

jamesbarkera
02-08-2012, 08:12 AM
My Favorite movie is titanic. This movie have a great love story. I like this movie very much. The story of this movie is so amazing. The songs are also wonderful. this movie is one of the best movie of my life.

peterjackson
06-28-2012, 06:55 AM

kelvinpiterson
12-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Still my favorite is home alone :)
Super movie :)

steveparish
01-20-2014, 01:35 AM
The Land Before Time
Homeward Bound
Jurassic Park
The Lion King
The Jungle Book
Air Bud
Matilda
The Brave little toaster

To name a few...

GlassTop
03-24-2014, 10:21 PM
High school musical and twilight are my favorites.

vanessalea21
10-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Twilight movie is my favorite movie.

ashiqasharma98
11-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Twilight movie

FolckSparow
01-05-2015, 03:46 AM
Harry Potter and the lord of the rings are my all time favorites