PDA

View Full Version : Films that got you thinking

steph290504
03-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Which films had you still thinking about them a few days later? This could be for good reasons as they were funny or you felt they mirrored your life in some way, or maybe it was quite disturbing for you to watch and you found you kept thinking back on it or maybe the character in a film had you thinking back on them. Im just interested to know which ones and your reasons for it.

My first one would be once were warriers as i found this film quite disturbing, it was violent and very sad (if you have seen it you will know what i mean) and it had me thinking for days after seeing it, as things like that really can and do happen to people, maybe not the way it happend in the film but the violence in gangs is very real today no matter where you are.

m0viem0nster
03-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Great idea for a thread.

The Vanishing with Sandra Bullock & Kiefer Sutherland. The very notion of being buried alive is awful and the cold and calculated way the abduction and murder is carried out by just an every day guy with a family is extremely unnerving. :eek:

Another one is the Planet of the Apes re-make. The various possibilities for the ending are countless. I think the director did this on purpose. Genius!!!!

Saving Private Ryan for the realism of battle, not just the beach scenes but the, but the portrayal of the men in general. I can't forget the sound of the tanks and the knife fight scene in the partly destroyed building. Everything about it was just not enjoyable, but you just couldn't take your eyes away from the screen regardless of the horrors of war.

Just a few starters. :D

steph290504
03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Wow the vanishing, great choice monster. That was a horrible film, the thought of dying that way is the stuff of nightmares.:eek:

The changling is another one, that film had me terrified to let my children out of my sight for a week. I wont say too much as this is a firly new film and i dont want to spoil it for others..

m0viem0nster
03-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Wow the vanishing, great choice monster. That was a horrible film, the thought of dying that way is the stuff of nightmares.:eek:

The changling is another one, that film had me terrified to let my children out of my sight for a week. I wont say too much as this is a firly new film and i dont want to spoil it for others..

Why, thanks steph.

Another one is The Matrix, just for the whole what if.... factor.

shinny
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Why, thanks steph.

Another one is The Matrix, just for the whole what if.... factor.

The Matrix definitely for me because I have a lot of déjà vu. Every time it happened, after I'd seen the matrix, I kept thinking about the "glitch" in the system......imagine :eek:

Pay it Forward too. Such a simple idea for a film, but the concept of it is much more complex.

Hotel Rwanda and Schindler's list for the same reasons. These people risked their lives to save others, in the midst of unimaginable and frightening personal danger.

gypsiegirl66
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes, excellent topic!! MM and I have had a few conversations on this very thing.

Planet of the Apes- definitely!
The Matrix- yep
Dark City- That left me wondering, what's next (so many possibilities)
Twilight- the ending will keep you pondering...I'll leave it at that.

Pay it Forward- that left me thinking on it, for quite a while......good one Shinny!

I haven't seen The Changing, I'm looking forward to it now.

I only saw part of The Vanishing, I remember I was enjoying it, but my daughter was sick, and wanted to sit and watch her movie with me. She was only about 6yo, at the time. Even now at age 20, she gets horrible nightmares, when she watches anything remotely scary.
Hmmm, sorry for going on there. I guess I'm missing her, now that she's away at college. :(

steph290504
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Another of mine is when the wind blows. I had nitemares about a nuclear war for ages after that. I just kept thinking of how awful it would be to survive something like that.:(

Hypechic
03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
For me,
The Green Mile(I kept thinking and thinking about that movie for days. How our prejudices sometimes stop us from thinking things through and causing us to do stupid stuff. It was obvious that 'John Coffey' was gentle but of course the color of his skin and circumstantial evidence didn't let folks ask deeper questions which may or may not have established his innocence.

Forrest Gump(Low IQ and all, he made things happen when it mattered..some would say he was extremely lucky)

Titanic....(had it stuck in my head for days..maybe because I'm a hopeless romantic but I felt bad cos of the love found and lost.)

steph290504
03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Ahh bless ya Hypechic but she does go back to him when she dies which is a nice ending:)

thebest2k8
03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
i would say the Matrix more than anything else, it really got me thinking about the whole reality in which we live :confused:

steph290504
03-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Yeah the Matrix was definantly thought provoking. Never knowing if this is reality or not can have you thinking for hours.:)

m0viem0nster
03-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Deja Vu (have I mentioned that one before????:confused:)
The Terminator films and the whole time travel thing.
Memento
The Time Machine (Guy Pierce one : his girlfriend had to die what ever he did, so that he was able to invent the machine in order to save her...... but couldn't, otherwise he would not have invented the machine ...... :confused:)
Next - why couldn't it have ended properly, followed by, I don't know how else they could have........ but then again ...... Do you see the problem, we become like Nic Cage's character and play out different scenarios......
Cast Away - Could I have survived?
12 Angry Men - how easy it is to jump to conclusions about people and circumstances, how is it possible to judge without some element of prejudice.:(
12 Monkeys - Time travel again:rolleyes:
1 Million Years BC - that fur bikini:D
JFK - who was responsible then??????
The Prestige - just a great film
Final Destination Death is out to get us all :eek:
Jumper - why didn't they make this better, so much more could have been done with this.:mad:
The Thirteenth Floor - Matrix(ish), still all good though
Das Boot - how on earth did they manage in such cramped hostile conditions?
The Elephant Man - the poor poor guy:(
Gladiator, The Godfather, Psycho, Shawshank - just great great films

steph290504
03-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Shawshank was an amazing film..this could also go under my list of films that make me cry!

The fur bikini got you thinking then Monster LOL was it a case of what lies beneath?:D

The Da Vinci Code was another one for me, as im not strictly religious so it gave another more realistic view of the Bible story. Although i did read the book first but as its a film now i think i can add it to this list. He is one of my fave Authours too.

m0viem0nster
03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Shawshank was an amazing film..this could also go under my list of films that make me cry!

The fur bikini got you thinking then Monster LOL was it a case of what lies beneath?:D

The Da Vinci Code was another one for me, as im not strictly religious so it gave another more realistic view of the Bible story. Although i did read the book first but as its a film now i think i can add it to this list. He is one of my fave Authours too.

Yeah, I love Shawshank, one of my favourites. You don't happen to know where I can find one of those fur bikini's (for the wife of course)?, No? thought not...., I believe there was another film similar to 1 Million Years BC. I can't think what it was called now, but they had similarly clad cave women of very little words .... (my favourite kind), only joking :D

Another film that gets me thinking is Deja Vu. :)

m0viem0nster
03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Another film that get me thinking is Deja Vu......:confused:

m0viem0nster
03-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Another film that get me thinking is Deja Vu:rolleyes:

m0viem0nster
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Another film that get me thinking is ....... hang on..... this is getting silly...:D

steph290504
03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
ROFL Monster! Im not too sure where you can get a fur bikini from, Anne summers probably do something along that line though or maybe even Primarks summer range! ;)

I havent actually seen Deja Vu though is it a good watch?

I also liked Pulp Fiction because of the way that tarrantino mixed it up, it took a little while to figure out the series of events.

Celticmaidn
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
yhe sixth sense as that was the biggest no way ending ever.
butterfly effect
ya'll have mentioned most of yhe ones that had me thinking.
a good sign of a good movie is one that sticks with you.

thebest2k8
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Deja Vu (have I mentioned that one before????:confused:)
The Terminator films and the whole time travel thing.
Memento
The Time Machine (Guy Pierce one : his girlfriend had to die what ever he did, so that he was able to invent the machine in order to save her...... but couldn't, otherwise he would not have invented the machine ...... :confused:)
Next - why couldn't it have ended properly, followed by, I don't know how else they could have........ but then again ...... Do you see the problem, we become like Nic Cage's character and play out different scenarios......
Cast Away - Could I have survived?
12 Angry Men - how easy it is to jump to conclusions about people and circumstances, how is it possible to judge without some element of prejudice.:(
12 Monkeys - Time travel again:rolleyes:
1 Million Years BC - that fur bikini:D
JFK - who was responsible then??????
The Prestige - just a great film
Final Destination Death is out to get us all :eek:
Jumper - why didn't they make this better, so much more could have been done with this.:mad:
The Thirteenth Floor - Matrix(ish), still all good though
Das Boot - how on earth did they manage in such cramped hostile conditions?
The Elephant Man - the poor poor guy
Gladiator, The Godfather, Psycho, Shawshank - just great great films

Actually Cast Away got me thinking too, as in what would i do in that situation, i think i would have personally given up

lol :)

m0viem0nster
03-10-2009, 12:19 AM
ROFL Monster! Im not too sure where you can get a fur bikini from, Anne summers probably do something along that line though or maybe even Primarks summer range! ;)

I havent actually seen Deja Vu though is it a good watch?

I also liked Pulp Fiction because of the way that tarrantino mixed it up, it took a little while to figure out the series of events.

Yeah, I think Deja Vu is a great movie, you must see it. (Did I tell you this before?)

I think the other film similar to 1 Million Yrs BC was called something like "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth" and it starred some pin-ups that were famous at the time.

Time for a re-make of 1 Million Years BC I think, now who could play Ulla? Scarlett Johansson maybe?

m0viem0nster
03-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Actually Cast Away got me thinking too, as in what would i do in that situation, i think i would have personally given up

lol :)

Me too, but not until I'd tried to cook Wilson. I suspect it was a leather volley-ball. It might have been better than talking to it.

Hypechic
03-10-2009, 07:09 AM
me too, but not until i'd tried to cook wilson. I suspect it was a leather volley-ball. It might have been better than talking to it.

rotflmao....

thebest2k8
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Me too, but not until I'd tried to cook Wilson. I suspect it was a leather volley-ball. It might have been better than talking to it.

lol , yeah, i think i would have gone insane talking to it