PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Black & White film?

gypsiegirl66
03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
What is your favorite Black & White film?

For me there are so many, I'll start with....

Rear Window......gotta love Jimmy Stewart!...Okay, so it's not actually in B & W, still an excellent flick!! http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/tongue.gif

m0viem0nster
03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
What is your favorite Black & White film?

For me there are so many, I'll start with....

Rear Window......gotta love Jimmy Stewart! http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/tongue.gif

That film is in glorious color. But you could watch it on a B&W T.V. if you wanted :D:D

I choose The Elephant Man for starters.

trulee
03-06-2009, 04:19 AM
That film is in glorious color. But you could watch it on a B&W T.V. if you wanted :D:D

I was gonna say the same thing myself m0viem0nster lol.

One of my favourite black & while films is Some Like It Hot - gotta love Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon & of course Marilyn Monroe.

m0viem0nster
03-06-2009, 04:31 AM
I was gonna say the same thing myself m0viem0nster lol.

One of my favourite black & while films is Some Like It Hot - gotta love Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon & of course Marilyn Monroe.

Good choice. I like that film too.

Other B&W films are 12 Angry Men, original King Kong, The Night Of The Hunter, The Hustler, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, Stage Coach, Laurel & Hardy (any of theirs), Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, D.O.A.

aidamaxim
03-06-2009, 05:57 AM
My personal favourite is North by North West - 1959

gypsiegirl66
03-06-2009, 08:12 AM

I just don't know where my head is these days, I knew it was in color. http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/fun_84.gif. I've seen that, at least 10x...duh!!

Ok, 12 Angry Men was going to be my next one.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner....that was good!
Anatomy of a Murder....another excellent Jimmy Stewart movie.

m0viem0nster
03-06-2009, 09:38 AM
My personal favourite is North by North West - 1959

I think you'll find that was also made in color. Come on people, put the old portable B&W T.V. away and watch in HD or your nearest flicks/DVD rental store.

Another for the B&W brigade ........ CASABLANCA!! Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Sabrina, Touch Of Evil, Psycho

waterlilybarb
03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Too - many - to - choose - from! :confused::eek:
My favourite (though it has 1 scene in colour) is the 1939 version of The Women.

I also love:

It Happened One Night
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Notorious (1946)
Casablanca
Suspicion
Gaslight (1944)
Citizen Kane

There are SO many more, but that's all for now.

gypsiegirl66
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I think you'll find that was also made in color. Come on people, put the old portable B&W T.V. away and watch in HD or your nearest flicks/DVD rental store.

Sorry sweetie, but North by North West, is a B & W movie.

To Kill a Mockingbird....another fav.
It's a Wonderful Life...all time fav Christmas movie!!

trulee
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry sweetie, but North by North West, is a B & W movie.

A thousand apologies Gypsie166 - I would have bet my life it was a colour movie - it was playing in my head that way when I thought about it lol.

waterlilybarb
03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
A thousand apologies Gypsie166 - I would have bet my life it was a colour movie - it was playing in my head that way when I thought about it lol.

It was shot in colour. I had thought so too - and did a little research. According to IMDb, it was shot in Technicolor. When I saw the earlier comments I had thought I might have been remembering scenes from a colorized version - but, no, the original movie is in dazzling technicolor.

trulee
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
It was shot in colour. I had thought so too - and did a little research. According to IMDb, it was shot in Technicolor. When I saw the earlier comments I had thought I might have been remembering scenes from a colorized version - but, no, the original movie is in dazzling technicolor.

You know Barb, I went on IMDb and saw all the stills in black & white and thought gee I must be thinking of another Cary Grant film - if had scrolled to the bottom of the page I would have seen it say "technicolor" :D

gypsiegirl66
03-06-2009, 07:58 PM
You know Barb, I went on IMDb and saw all the stills in black & white and thought gee I must be thinking of another Cary Grant film - if had scrolled to the bottom of the page I would have seen it say "technicolor" :D
I did the same thing, but didn't scroll to the bottom. I have never seen this film, so couldn't go by memory,,,

Sorry Moviemonster you were right, I should have known, not to question you!!:p

waterlilybarb
03-06-2009, 09:18 PM
You should definitely see it - I'm sure you'd like it. I like a lot of Hitchcock's movies, but North by Northwest is right up near the top.

I also loved Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, To Kill a Mockingbird, and It's a Wonderful Life. Some others I love:

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
I Remember Mama
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (another great Capra movie)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
Lost Horizon (Capra again)
How Green Was My Valley (though I liked the book MUCH better)
The Best Years of Ours Lives
Yankee Doodle Dandy
most of Fred Astaire & Ginger Roger's movies
Show Boat
Adam's Rib
Pat & Mike ...pretty much anything with Tracy & Hepburn
The Men of Boys Town
The Farmer's Daughter

As you see, I could go on, and on, and on...ad infinitum. LOL

m0viem0nster
03-07-2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks for being in my corner Waterlilybarb, all other apologies are accepted, but there is no need, no damage done or bad feelings etc.

You have made quite a lot of choices, some I've seen and some I haven't. I'm guessing that the ones I haven't seen is because they are musicals.

Are these old films your favourite type of movie?

wooky44
03-07-2009, 12:59 AM
To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)

shinny
03-07-2009, 01:54 AM
A modern one; schindler's list. It was predominantly shot in b&w. The girl in the red dress was shot in colour (obviously). It's one of the reasons I really loved this film.

This is going to be an unpopular statement, but I'm gonna say it anyway; I think Jimmy Stewart is one of the most over rated actors of his time. Personally, I did not like him and I find it a struggle to watch any films he's in.

Pyscho, was just such a great movie. I think being filmed in b&w just made it even better.

On the Waterfront, with Marlon Brando. Amazing film.

That's all I can think of now :-)

ptrwat
03-07-2009, 03:32 AM
though ive seen it in color i believe i have also seen white christmas was originally b&w though i could be wrong on this so please correct me

m0viem0nster
03-07-2009, 06:07 AM
A modern one; schindler's list. It was predominantly shot in b&w. The girl in the red dress was shot in colour (obviously). It's one of the reasons I really loved this film.

This is going to be an unpopular statement, but I'm gonna say it anyway; I think Jimmy Stewart is one of the most over rated actors of his time. Personally, I did not like him and I find it a struggle to watch any films he's in.

Pyscho, was just such a great movie. I think being filmed in b&w just made it even better.

On the Waterfront, with Marlon Brando. Amazing film.

That's all I can think of now :-)

OOooooh, you bin and gone and opened up a can o' worms there with a bold statement like that.

I think it is all a matter of taste, whatever floats your boat. Some think he was a fine actor and starred in many a film that was highly rated. He was in quite a few Hitchcock films too and he knew a thing or two about film making. If an actor has been in films that have done well critically & commercially, then how overrated could a guy really be? Wouldn't the fact that they were in it make the picture stink, or at least draw critics to say something along the lines of ".....it was a good film despite so-an-so being in it." or "Good film, overrated acting.." etc etc.

Personally, I found that Schindler's List, although a very well made film with good performances, was very hard for me to enjoy.

gypsiegirl66
03-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Umm, excuse me, while I pick my jaw up off the floor!!
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/chaydayman/sad-smiley-023.gif

though ive seen it in color i believe i have also seen white christmas was originally b&w though i could be wrong on this so please correct me

I think, you are thinking of, "Holiday Inn" 1942 (B&W). A lot of people think this is called "White Christmas" 1954.

Phone Call from a Stranger (1952)
The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)
(clolor)

waterlilybarb
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for being in my corner Waterlilybarb, all other apologies are accepted, but there is no need, no damage done or bad feelings etc.

You have made quite a lot of choices, some I've seen and some I haven't. I'm guessing that the ones I haven't seen is because they are musicals.

Are these old films your favourite type of movie?

I have a wide variety of films genres that I enjoy - one of them being musicals.:) Many of the movies I like are ones I watched as a kid. We had a local channel that woud show old movies every afternoon - or on the weekends. If I was home sick from school I always watched the movies. Others I have come to as an adult, because I had heard of them and was curious.

I grew up in a multi-generational household, so there was always a variety of tastes (in films & music), which has caused my tastes to be quite eclectic.

shinny
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
OOooooh, you bin and gone and opened up a can o' worms there with a bold statement like that.

I think it is all a matter of taste, whatever floats your boat. Some think he was a fine actor and starred in many a film that was highly rated. He was in quite a few Hitchcock films too and he knew a thing or two about film making. If an actor has been in films that have done well critically & commercially, then how overrated could a guy really be? Wouldn't the fact that they were in it make the picture stink, or at least draw critics to say something along the lines of ".....it was a good film despite so-an-so being in it." or "Good film, overrated acting.." etc etc.

Personally, I found that Schindler's List, although a very well made film with good performances, was very hard for me to enjoy.

Haha, well if we all agreed on everything it would make for a very boring world.

With regards to me thinking he was over-rated, the problem with critic admiration and the commercial viability of a movie at that time, is they were often hand in hand. Meaning that if a movie opened to critical acclaim, then most people held the view of the critic in some sort of odd esteem. The thinking was, well I must like this if the critics like it.

Today it often doesn't matter what the critics think. A film can be slated by the critics, but still get major box office takings. That's because people decide what they like themselves. There is really no loyalty to critics anymore.

waterlilybarb
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
While I agree to some extent (re: critical acclaim = commercial viablity), my love of Jimmy Stewart is based on my admiration of his talents as an actor, as well as the films he starred in. He's one of my favourite actors - always has been.

As you say, if we all agreed on everything - the world would be a boring place. :)

gypsiegirl66
03-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Grrrr...they blocked my chin drop, I think it's to working now.

Not to worry Shinny, we still wuv you!!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/blsfn02/Smiley.gif

shinny
03-07-2009, 04:43 PM
While I agree to some extent (re: critical acclaim = commercial viablity), my love of Jimmy Stewart is based on my admiration of his talents as an actor, as well as the films he starred in. He's one of my favourite actors - always has been.

As you say, if we all agreed on everything - the world would be a boring place. :)

I'll agree with you on the fact that some of the films he starred in where truly amazing, it's just a pity he was in them :D (runs away from Barb!!)

In fairness, I can respect your opinion of him because I know you would like him just for him, not what critics think or say about him. However, that just means you are different to a lot of people who were swayed at that time, by the critics.

shinny
03-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Grrrr...they blocked my chin drop, I think it's to working now.

Not to worry Shinny, we still wuv you!!
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/blsfn02/Smiley.gif

Thanks....I think :confused: haha :D (loving the jaw drop by the way!)

waterlilybarb
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I'll agree with you on the fact that some of the films he starred in where truly amazing, it's just a pity he was in them :D (runs away from Barb!!)

LOL! I don't mind that you don't like him. I know some find his manner of speaking a bit off-putting, but I always found that as part of his charm. You're right in saying that my opinion is based on how I've perceived him rather than others' opinions. I've never really been one to follow the crowd. ;)

gypsiegirl66
03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I fell in love with his movies, as a young child. I still remember, seeing Made for Each Other on tv for the first time, I was about 6yo. After that, if he was on tvv, or in a movie, I was watching (even the westerns). I remember when we got cable TV, the first to have it, where I grew up. We got this one station out of Boston, that played all the old movie's (1930-50's), almost exclusively. I loved watching them, Gary Cooper, Rock Hudson, Bette Davis, Shirley Temple Jimmy Stewart,...and on, and on.

Jimmy Stewart was and has always been, one the actors I enjoyed most. I missed few tv shows, that he starred in. I'd beg my Mum & Dad to take me to any movies, he was in that came out in theaters. My Mum, felt very much the same as you Shinny, about Jimmy Stewart. Dad usually, was the one who took me.:D

m0viem0nster
03-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Haha, well if we all agreed on everything it would make for a very boring world.

With regards to me thinking he was over-rated, the problem with critic admiration and the commercial viability of a movie at that time, is they were often hand in hand. Meaning that if a movie opened to critical acclaim, then most people held the view of the critic in some sort of odd esteem. The thinking was, well I must like this if the critics like it.

Today it often doesn't matter what the critics think. A film can be slated by the critics, but still get major box office takings. That's because people decide what they like themselves. There is really no loyalty to critics anymore.

Harumph! I wasn't suggesting that you should like him. You are entitled to your opinion. Heck, I think you'll find I didn't even give my opinion of the man one way or the other. I was just making the point that some people like his films.

As for critics, I don't think they sway me towards an actor or film. You are likely to find a critic that likes a certain film and another that hates the same one. But that is their opinion. But I guess it all depends what makes a person want to watch a particular film. If I read a review that slates it, I might want to watch it anyway because of who is in it or the plot etc. I might end up agreeing with the critic. But either way I will know whether their opinion is worth listening to. There are many films that have good reviews that I will choose to avoid, but I respect the fact that there are people that love them. What ever floats you boat!!!!

I think people liked Jimmy Stewart because many people could identify with the character he chose to play in all his films. The little guy fighting his corner, the not too well spoken man struggling against the odds etc etc.

Sometimes it is not that they are a good actor so much as the fact that they make the others around them look better. I think that is an admirable quality.

Let me re-state, I am not criticizing you for your opinion of the actor, just have a little toleration for those that do. Acting styles have changed and so has taste and for that matter so have the critics because of what is acceptable in film these days.

That is just my opinion. No hard feelings?;)

gypsiegirl66
03-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm not trying to cause conflict here, but I disagree, with a few things stated regarding critics influence.. I know that a certain amount people, now and back in the day (more so in earlier years), have allowed critics to influence, what movies they will spend money see. I don't agree, that they actually sway, the majority of movie goers, into liking a film/actor, that they didn't enjoy. I remember when critics, were big in the 70's-80's (I was too young in the 60's). I also remember, many angry movie goers, because they saw a movie/actor that was critically acclaimed, and were let down.
The critics may have, gotten viewers into a movie. Once there though, most people made up there own minds, whether or not they liked the film/actor's. Of course, there are always the few, that will follow in tow.

Just my personal view... :)

To keep this a bit on topic.....
His Girl Friday (1940)
Poor Little Rich Girl (1936).....one of my fav's as a child. :)

m0viem0nster
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not trying to cause conflict here, but I disagree, with a few things stated regarding critics influence.. I know that a certain amount people, now and back in the day (more so in earlier years), have allowed critics to influence, what movies they will spend money see. I don't agree, that they actually sway, the majority of movie goers, into liking a film/actor, that they didn't enjoy. I remember when critics, were big in the 70's-80's (I was too young in the 60's). I also remember, many angry movie goers, because they saw a movie/actor that was critically acclaimed, and were let down.
The critics may have, gotten viewers into a movie. Once there though, most people made up there own minds, whether or not they liked the film/actor's. Of course, there are always the few, that will follow in tow.

Just my personal view... :)

To keep this a bit on topic.....
His Girl Friday (1940)
Poor Little Rich Girl (1936).....one of my fav's as a child. :)

Well put. ;)

shinny
03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Harumph! I wasn't suggesting that you should like him. You are entitled to your opinion. Heck, I think you'll find I didn't even give my opinion of the man one way or the other. I was just making the point that some people like his films.

As for critics, I don't think they sway me towards an actor or film. You are likely to find a critic that likes a certain film and another that hates the same one. But that is their opinion. But I guess it all depends what makes a person want to watch a particular film. If I read a review that slates it, I might want to watch it anyway because of who is in it or the plot etc. I might end up agreeing with the critic. But either way I will know whether their opinion is worth listening to. There are many films that have good reviews that I will choose to avoid, but I respect the fact that there are people that love them. What ever floats you boat!!!!

I think people liked Jimmy Stewart because many people could identify with the character he chose to play in all his films. The little guy fighting his corner, the not too well spoken man struggling against the odds etc etc.

Sometimes it is not that they are a good actor so much as the fact that they make the others around them look better. I think that is an admirable quality.

Let me re-state, I am not criticizing you for your opinion of the actor, just have a little toleration for those that do. Acting styles have changed and so has taste and for that matter so have the critics because of what is acceptable in film these days.

That is just my opinion. No hard feelings?;)

I think you might need to go back and re-read what I said. We're just having some banter here about our varying opinions. I'm not sure what I said for you to think I was being intolerant of your view, I wasn't :confused: We're just having a friendly debate, or so I thought. And I haven't taken any offence to anything you've said. I like a well thought out debate ;)

Anyway, back on track to the original question. Anyone seen Sunset Boulevard? This is another favourite of mine.

m0viem0nster
03-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I think you might need to go back and re-read what I said. We're just having some banter here about our varying opinions. I'm not sure what I said for you to think I was being intolerant of your view, I wasn't :confused: We're just having a friendly debate, or so I thought. And I haven't taken any offence to anything you've said. I like a well thought out debate ;)

Anyway, back on track to the original question. Anyone seen Sunset Boulevard? This is another favourite of mine.

Like I said, no hard feelings. Sorry for the tone of my post (I didn't intend for there to be any particular tone), I haven't taken offence and didn't mean any. Friends???:D

shinny
03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Like I said, no hard feelings. Sorry for the tone of my post (I didn't intend for there to be any particular tone), I haven't taken offence and didn't mean any. Friends???:D

Lol, of course. I think you are a great contributor to the site ;)

m0viem0nster
03-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Lol, of course. I think you are a great contributor to the site ;)

Why thank you very much, that is kind of you, but that is only your opinion and you are welcome to it LOL :D

shinny
03-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Why thank you very much, that is kind of you, but that is only your opinion and you are welcome to it LOL :D

:D;) haha, good one !

m0viem0nster
03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

trulee
03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I see the infamous North By Northwest has been added to the site lol :D

m0viem0nster
03-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I see the infamous North By Northwest has been added to the site lol :D

Do you mean the B&W one?

Enjoyed the huge win over Real on Tuesday. I think it is the best I've seen them play this season so far. It must have a lot to do with the confidence of having their best players fit and playing together again.
More of the same for Saturday please. :D

trulee
03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Do you mean the B&W one?

Enjoyed the huge win over Real on Tuesday. I think it is the best I've seen them play this season so far. It must have a lot to do with the confidence of having their best players fit and playing together again.
More of the same for Saturday please. :D

Oh that we could have played like that all season or played teams that played the same as Real lol.

I think it was established that it was made in glorious technicolour ;)

waterlilybarb
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm too tired to recheck the thread but another of my favourites is Young Frankenstein with Gene Wilder, Teri Garr, Peter Boyle & "Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I've found you...."http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x93/waterlilybarb/smileys/smiley20whistling.gif Madeline Kahn....along with so many other great actors.

I was probably the only little girl in Canada who wanted to grow up to be either Madeline Kahn or Bernandette Peters. Don't ask me why. I thought both of them were so funny, talented and pretty. Might have been the fact that they both had red hair. :D

cshapiro
03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree, I think Madeline Kahn was one of the great women of comedy. It was such a shame when she passed away.

mekaty
01-21-2010, 01:44 AM
All Chaplin ones but specially "Modern Times" seen and loved it....and "To Kill a
Mocking Bird"...this one achieved a cult status...