PDA

View Full Version : Scariest movie's ever!

gypsiegirl66
03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
What movie's, have made you consider sleeping with the light's on?

I think one of the scariest movies, I ever saw was the original Damion. I only saw it once, when I was in my teens, but that movie freaked me out. :eek:

waterlilybarb
03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Was that The Omen? I saw a few scary movies as a kid - including that one. I can't remember who I saw it with, but WHAT were they thinking?
Jaws 2 was one that freaked me out too as a kid. I was afraid to go swimming, take a bath or even sit on the toilet. That was NOT a fun summer. Stupid cousins...it was the boys that got me to see it. It was my turn to pick which movie we went to see at the drive-in (my Gran brought us all the time) and they convinced me that Jaws would be better than Grease. :mad: Bad boys!

As an adult, I find psychological thrillers scarier - though, honestly, I don't like scary movies, and don't find it entertaining to made so scared. Copycat with Sigourney Weaver creeped me out.

gypsiegirl66
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
You're ight girlie, Damion just popped into my head, but it was The Omen. Jaws, was scary too, though toilets didn't bother me....LOL

I too find psychological thriller, much scarier as an adult. I do still love to watch the older horror flicks. Like The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho....just for fun. I would love to see The Omen again, to see how I react now.

waterlilybarb
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I have friends who enjoy a good scary movie sometimes too. I guess, for me, my imagination is just too vivid because even films that aren't really scary can creep me out. The things I imagine are far worse than anything they could show me on a screen. I've tried to watch some of the older scary movies and just couldn't hack it.

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte (with Bette Davis) had me awake for a couple days. I didn't even get through it the 1st time. I did watch it again with a friend as she told me seeing the ending would help. It did, but I still find it too much for my nerves. I guess I'm just a "fraidy-cat" when it comes to scary movies. LOL

thebest2k8
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
i think the much older you get the less scary movies seem to be , because the less of an imagination you have i guess, your brain tells you that's not possible, i used to get scared of horror movies, when i was younger, but nothing is doing it for me these days:confused:

steph290504
03-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Jaws was defo one of he scarey ones. I wouldnt swim in the sea for ages after seeing that.

Signs i found scarey although it was only a 12, i think it was because you didnt see very much so it had you thinking.

IT by Stephen King...i hate that film. I have an irrational fear of clowns lol

Aracnaphobia was also quite scarey, i couldnt even put my feet down watching that film..makes me want to itch lol.

The Descent...i couldnt play it all the way through as i felt so claustrophobic just watching it.

I generally find the thrillars worse now though as i know monsters arnt real but there are really some crazy people out there :eek:

m0viem0nster
03-04-2009, 05:07 AM
I agree with you guys......... Jaws had a huge effect on me when I first saw this. I think as someone on this site has already said, the shark was supposed to be shown more. I'm glad it didn't feature more. It is much more scarier to see from the shark's POV.

I think the mechanical Shark they had for the movie kept breaking down and time was the essence in completing the filming. When the shark did finally appear, the film was less scary and in places it looked enormous and others considerably smaller and a bit too rubbery.

I'd have to list Salem's Lot as pretty frightening. But I think the film that is one of the most scary is Psycho. It proved that just about anybody could be a monster amongst us.

Duel has a similar knack of putting seemingly normal people into impossible situations they can't get out of and pursued relentlessly by an unknown entity, which links nicely to The Entity.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

gypsiegirl66
03-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Oh yeah, Salem's Lot was scary. and Psycho was definitely scary, it had me sleeping with the lights on, the first time I saw it.

Personally, I like the older horror movies, they add a certain creep factor, that I don't find in the newer ones.

Never saw, Dual or The Entity, were they good?

Misery, creeped me out too.....:eek:

m0viem0nster
03-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Oh yeah, Salem's Lot was scary. and Psycho was definitely scary, it had me sleeping with the lights on, the first time I saw it.

Personally, I like the older horror movies, they add a certain creep factor, that I don't find in the newer ones.

Never saw, Dual or The Entity, were they good?

Misery, creeped me out too.....:eek:

Duel was with Dennis Weaver being pursued by a large truck which took exception to being overtaken. I think it was Steven Spielberg's first feature.
I haven't seen all of The Entity, only parts. way too scary and disturbing for me (based on a true story too which makes it even worse). :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

waterlilybarb
03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
i think the much older you get the less scary movies seem to be , because the less of an imagination you have i guess, your brain tells you that's not possible, i used to get scared of horror movies, when i was younger, but nothing is doing it for me these days:confused:

My imagination definitely has NOT decreased with age. If anything, it's even more vivid (which I'm glad of). However, I still can't watch scary movies. They completely freak me out. :eek:

steph290504
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Duel was with Dennis Weaver being pursued by a large truck which took exception to being overtaken. I think it was Steven Spielberg's first feature.
I haven't seen all of The Entity, only parts. way too scary and disturbing for me (based on a true story too which makes it even worse). :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh my god i remember that film. It was horrible, i couldnt remember the name of it and no one else i know had seen it.

A bit like the film christine about the mad car

m0viem0nster
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh my god i remember that film. It was horrible, i couldnt remember the name of it and no one else i know had seen it.

A bit like the film christine about the mad car

... except with a great big Juggernaut............. Never saw the driver :eek: a great film.

Another one is The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer, C Thomas Howell and Jennifer Jason Leigh. He was a real pscho homicidal menace, just for the sake of it

Celticmaidn
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Monster movies don't really scare me anymore. The occassional ghost movie will get me but the ones about crazy people those get to me. I jump at every noise around my house.
People are far scarier than made up monsters.

m0viem0nster
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Monster movies don't really scare me anymore. The occassional ghost movie will get me but the ones about crazy people those get to me. I jump at every noise around my house.
People are far scarier than made up monsters.

I think it is because, with people, you know it could happen and it could be anyone. the exception to just people being scary is where real animals are involved like Cujo, Jaws, The Birds etc , where realism plays a part in how scary it is. Also if a real animal is the monster of the film, there is no emotion involved. The contrast between almost blind panic on the part of the victims and one of a relatively indifferent but frenzied attack, is quite unnerving.

Another one that puts the spooks up me, especially with the surround sound turned up, is The Ghost and the Darkness. This will make you think twice about walking in the long grass...:eek:

steph290504
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
talking of animal films how about razorback...not a very nice piggy!

thebest2k8
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
My imagination definitely has NOT decreased with age. If anything, it's even more vivid (which I'm glad of). However, I still can't watch scary movies. They completely feak me out. :eek:

i don't know i used to get freaked out , and now, its just not doing it for me anymore, whats more is i used to like getting freaked out, it gave me rush, maybe they need to make a new scary movie, like unborn did absolutely nothing for me, and i know a lot of people were scared watching that movie, the older Halloweens use to be scary and now that i watch them again, not so much

m0viem0nster
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
talking of animal films how about razorback...not a very nice piggy!

Good one, I forgot about that one. But again, once the bad guy/animal/monster is revealed, there is a disappointment and it isn't so scary anymore. The pig wasn't anywhere near as big & scary as I imagined. The longer the brute is kept from view, the more likely your imagination kicks in rather than having it all done for you. I think it is a fear of the unknown.

wooky44
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
poltergeist when i was a kid but the horror movies they make today are not that scarry and i love horror

bool
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
the scariest movie for me is the one i feel i will not be able to finish watching due to loading problem....:D

gypsiegirl66
03-05-2009, 09:00 PM
My imagination definitely has NOT decreased with age. If anything, it's even more vivid (which I'm glad of). However, I still can't watch scary movies. They completely freak me out. :eek:

Fraidy cat, fraidy cat!!!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/whaaaaaa_cat1.jpg

The Birds, freaked me out, for a while.

Hypechic
03-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Never been a fan of watching scary/horror movies or reading scary/horror books either. I have an extremely vivid imagination. I'd take the movie or book one step or ten further.

I do remember being scared witless by The Omen and The Exorcist when I was a kid. I also remember that Animal Monster movies didn't really scare me, it was always the ones with People Monsters that did. As an adult, a couple movies have given me the creeps..The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer, Simon Says(he survived to keep doing his thing...ewwwww) Final Destination 1 & 2. Haven't seen 3 and 4 yet.

For some reason, I haven't watched Jaws or Psycho..My younger sisters love watching scary/horror movies..in surround sound especially at night with all the lights out. After all that setting-up, I never understand why they'll keep screaming through the movie:confused:

lexi10
03-06-2009, 05:53 PM
thir13en Ghosts.. my lights was on for a week :d

waterlilybarb
03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Fraidy cat, fraidy cat!!!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/whaaaaaa_cat1.jpg

The Birds, freaked me out, for a while.

I had a strange experience as a kid, which made The Birds even creepier to me. I used to walk to school (I lived out of district, so my school was a couple miles away) through a park. One day the park was overrun by seagulls - in a very eerie way. It felt like a scene right out of the movie. The next time I saw it, it got to me worse than it ever had before. :eek: I looked very much like that "fraidy cat" in the picture. LOL

fifteenmel
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM

i dont scare easy but that movie scared me a little :eek:

gypsiegirl66
04-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Hmmm, I've never seen this, now I'm intrigued. Oh, I see we have it on our site, I know what I'll be watching next. I'll let you know, what the freak factor is for me.
Thanks

shinny
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Duel and the Hitcher were both brilliantly scary ! I remember for weeks after watching Duel for the first time, that when I walked to and from school I was always looking over my shoulder for a big black truck!!

Anyone remember The Fog? This used to frighten the life out of me!! Probably because I live right on the Irish Sea and we get a lot of Fog!!

http://dscorereviews.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/the-fog-cover.jpg

Movies that are based on suggestion are always scarier. There is nothing more perfect than your own imagination!!

gypsiegirl66
04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Duel and the Hitcher were both brilliantly scary ! I remember for weeks after watching Duel for the first time, that when I walked to and from school I was always looking over my shoulder for a big black truck!!

Anyone remember The Fog? This used to frighten the life out of me!! Probably because I live right on the Irish Sea and we get a lot of Fog!!

http://dscorereviews.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/the-fog-cover.jpg

Movies that are based on suggestion are always scarier. There is nothing more perfect than your own imagination!!

Oh yes, I remember "The Fog" (1980), I grew up, on the ocean in Maine, which was very foggy too. I haven't seen the newer version, yet.

The original "Hitcher" (with Rutger Hauer), totally freaked me out. :eek: That movie probably saved my life. I never hitchhiked or picked up hitchers, after watching that.

I've never seen Duel, so I'll have to add it, to my Netflix queue. Thanks!

You're right, movies that are recommended, do always seem scarier.

shinny
04-15-2009, 04:09 AM
Oh yes, I remember "The Fog" (1980), I grew up, on the ocean in Maine, which was very foggy too. I haven't seen the newer version, yet.

The original "Hitcher" (with Rutger Hauer), totally freaked me out. :eek: That movie probably saved my life. I never hitchhiked or picked up hitchers, after watching that.

I've never seen Duel, so I'll have to add it, to my Netflix queue. Thanks!

You're right, movies that are recommended, do always seem scarier.

I'm the same Gypsy, I never picked up hitchers after watching that movie (well that and my parents warning me never to!)

I think you'll really like Duel, especially if you liked The Hitcher and The Fog.

I haven't seen the new Fog either, I didn't even realise there was a new version. I bet it's not as good.

I'm LOL'ing at my last statement. I didn't realise you could read that sentence two ways. I actually meant that films based on suggestion (as in they leave it up to you to imagine how bad it is) are the best.

gypsiegirl66
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm the same Gypsy, I never picked up hitchers after watching that movie (well that and my parents warning me never to!)

I think you'll really like Duel, especially if you liked The Hitcher and The Fog.

I haven't seen the new Fog either, I didn't even realise there was a new version. I bet it's not as good.

I'm LOL'ing at my last statement. I didn't realise you could read that sentence two ways. I actually meant that films based on suggestion (as in they leave it up to you to imagine how bad it is) are the best.

LOL. yeah that too, and hat I meant was, the anticipation of movies recommended (by trusted sources), seems to add an edge to the movie. At least, that is my experience.

I already put Duel, at the top of my queue, on Netflix. It looked really good, from the description. I still have the movies, I ordered last week to watch. So, I'll probably get it next week.

On another topic, my hubby was real good to me, this year for my birthday (not till May). Along with the new Macbook Pro, he bought me a new Samsung 52" 120hz LCD tv. It came a few days ago. WOW, what a picture.
I'm going to pick up a PS3, mostly for the Blue-ray. I've never watched anything in Blue-ray, I hear it's quite an incredible. I can't wait to find out, what the combination of the Bray & the 120hz is like. experience.http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/smileya%20and%20fun/yahoo.gif I couldn't help myself, I just had to do a little dance (can you tell I'm excited?). I don't know what's, gotten into my hubby, we don't usually go this big, for b-days. Not complaining, just surprised.

mako
05-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Like many mentioned The Excorcist and the Omen was scariest to me probably because I saw it when I was still a kid. Also movies like the Amityville Horror scared me when I was a kid as well.

Another movie that creeped me out was Poltergeist. It was scary and there is a scene which a steak movies on its own on the counter and a bunch of maggots come out and that killed me, I couldn't eat meat for a very long time lol I think this movie was what made me start believing in the spirit world so to speak.

I guess I like Stephen King movies and Rose Red and Pet Semetary was a well made horror movie I thought.

Recent horror movie that creeped me out was the Japanese version of The Ring. Not the Hollywood version.

Mnemosyne
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
As a kid The Haunting :eek: was probably the scariest movie I have seen, the original from the 60s, not the remake. It's one of those that leave most to the imagination. I saw a lot of horror movies as a child because my big sis didn't want to watch them alone and I always had to tell her when it was safe to look again :D so now it's hard for me to find any movies that scare me. I've never seen The Omen though, a lot of you have mentioned it, now I want to see it, hope they'll add it.

clauderodgeor
02-26-2013, 05:45 AM
I had seen so many scary movies. But while I think of the movies which made me sleep in night with lights on is wrong turn series. And the worst part which actually scared me most was third one. It was really very amazing.

4Gijoe
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
When I saw Evil dead for the first time, that was creepy!

JasenHadwick
10-01-2013, 03:19 AM
The Ghost Killer is scaring me as too much.

steveparish
01-20-2014, 01:47 AM
The original Nightmare on Elm Street. To this day, for no obvious reason, Freddy Kreuger creeps me out.

philip12
01-24-2014, 12:00 AM
The Shinning
Exorcist (1973)

catherinedsouza
05-30-2014, 05:21 AM
i think the evil dead is the most scariest movie.