PDA

View Full Version : MWG Slumdog Millionaire & The Curious Case of Benjamin Button discussion

Celticmaidn
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Movie Watchers Guild Oscar Picks. Watch Slumdog Millionaire and the case of Benjamin Button and discuss your thoughts here!

gypsiegirl66
02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Excellent, I'll start watching tomorrow!

waterlilybarb
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a plan. :)

Celticmaidn
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I have already seen both. I did cry at the end of Ben Button and Slumdog had me in tears as well. Get the tissues ready. These are not girly films but we girls can appreciate them.
I will weigh in with spoilers after others have had a chance to watch.

Hypechic
02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet but have seen Benjamin Button.

Somehow I think this movie could end up being a classic. Brad Pitt was awesome. Even though the end was sad and you felt for the main characters, the fact that their love lasted inspite of everything was heartwarming. Human nature is kinda weird. How a man can go from making a deathbed promise to his wife to trying to kill the subject of that promise in less than 2 minutes is beyond me.:confused:

Celticmaidn
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
He was so distraught plus everyone was repulsed by this baby so in his mental state it made it easier for him. but he did feel guilty about it later.

gypsiegirl66
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Without reading above....I didn't get a chance to watch either movie. Had so many bills and errands to run, didn't have the time. Hopefully, I'll get the chance tomorrow. Maybe after Lost tonight, I can swing it. :)

Celticmaidn
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Ben button is really long so if you are tired I would start with slumdog.

pajuera
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
super movie . really supriesme

trulee
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Well i've just finished watching Slumdog Millionaire and I have to say I quite enjoyed it, hype and oscar wins notwithstanding. I thought there were some very good performances particularly little Jamal's. He was such a little cutie and he never forgot his Latika nor his love for her. His brother Salim though not as nice a character was also played well.

It made me think that Major Charles Ingram who was found guilty of cheating on the UK version in 2003 would be glad he wasnt playing in Mumbai :D

waterlilybarb
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I've just watched Slumdog Millionaire and really enjoyed it. I agree with Trulee - the actor that played the young Jamal gave a great performance...as did all the young actors. This another film that was a bit different than I expected...probably because of all the hype surrounding it. It was a well written & acted story, which is always something I enjoy.

I haven't watched the other film yet, but will post when I do. :)

Celticmaidn
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
ROFL I am sure all cheaters will think twice about cheating in India. I loved the love story too. Poor Salim was just trying to be a good big brother. I think what finished him was killing the 1st man since then his self worth and mind was gone.
And little Jamal was my Favorite too. what a way to get an Autograph :D

waterlilybarb
02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
what a way to get an Autograph :D

Hahaha! I thought the same thing. :D

trulee
02-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Hahaha! I thought the same thing. :D

LOL I agree, not sure I admire anyone enough to go through that to get their autograph though.

waterlilybarb
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, I just finished watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I enjoyed it, though of the two I think I liked Slumdog Millionaire better. I found the modern-day setting in the story curious - seeing as it was set during Hurricane Katrina, but other than that, I much preferred this rendition of the story to F.Scott Fitzgerald's short story, upon which this is based. BTW, for those who would like to read it, here (http://www.readbookonline.net/read/690/10628/) is a link to the complete short story.

I found the whole topic quite fascinating, and the love story very believable. I especially liked Benjamin's affinity for old people, and having him raised among them was very fitting. The performances were excellent all around. I'd love to hear what others thought.

gypsiegirl66
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I finally got to see Slumdog Millionaire.

What a great movie, powerful performance, by all the actors....Bravo!! I didn't think I was going to like it, when it first started, but it turned out to be great!! It's hard to imagine, the lives that these children have had to live.

What a truly moving, and powerful movie!!

gypsiegirl66
03-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Oh, and I loved how they did the creditas, they actually kept me watching.

Now, it's in the right thread! :D

waterlilybarb
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I would like to have whoever did the lighting for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button follow me around. When Cate & Brad were playing younger than their years they looked amazing. Makeup was great too - but the lighting was key. I've seen it done before with not as believable results. Brad looked very much like he did in Thelma & Loiuse when he came back to see Cate's character Daisy. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having that lighting in everyday life as well.

Celticmaidn
03-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I thought it was the magic of computers and superimposing. On a sad note I hear our little Stars of Slumdog are being abusedby their own families. Little Jamal was beaten by his father for refusing to talk to press after his 20 hour flight home from the Oscars and little latika's absent mother showed up and is trying to steal the girl. So sad. and they still live in the slums. :(

waterlilybarb
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
How awful! What some children have to endure is beyond comprehension.

redsoxpatriot30
03-03-2009, 02:42 AM
I hope Danny Boyle knows about this… It would be a tragedy if anyone died…truly tragic. When I saw them all on stage at the Oscars claiming the big prize, they all looked very pleased…and they deserve it. Someone at my school saw this and told me about it…but not all of it. It sounds fascinating.

Benjamin Button’s lighting, now that you mention it, was very well done and it became a part of the story. SPOILER! For some reason, this brings to mind the part just before Daisy breaks her ankle/leg…can’t remember which. Anyways, that part of the story kept repeating “If the woman hadn’t forgotten her coat, if the driver hadn’t stopped for a break…and so on…then Daisy would not have been hit by the car in the alley.” It was just clever…even though I’ve heard variations of it. When it comes out on DVD, I want to watch it again just for those moments, especially early on when we see more of Taraji P. Henson…couldn’t have had a better actress.

bool
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
make slumdog millionaire free please...:D

trulee
03-06-2009, 04:25 AM
make slumdog millionaire free please...:D

It was when it was first added to the site, I guess you missed it.