PDA

View Full Version : MWG Passchendaele and Skagerrak

Celticmaidn
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Movie Watchers Guild 1st 2 movies to watch!
Passchendaele and Skagerrak

Please discuss these movies here.

Celticmaidn
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
ok I just watched Skagerrak. I was not that impressed. I was appalled mostly. I will wait until others chime in to go into details. But could they have made a more socially irresponcable film?

waterlilybarb
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh goodie, I'm looking ever so forward to seeing it now. LOL! :D

Celticmaidn
02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Lol, be prepared to take a shower and go to church after, :D

waterlilybarb
02-20-2009, 08:37 PM
That bad, eh? Great.
Let's hope Passchendaele is better.

Celticmaidn
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
The upside is at least there is a hot guy to look at. and there is a happy ending. :) I am sure someone will enjoy it
On to the next one for me though..

waterlilybarb
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I'll check it out tomorrow. I need to go to bed.

imarielle
02-21-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm watching Skagerrak now. So far I'm not really liking it. I'm considering stopping and switching to Passchendaele. I find it slow and i hate watching movies that don't take my interest early on!

hmm just got a bit more interesting...i'll give it some more time.

waterlilybarb
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I've begun with Passchendaele. Parts of the first 7 minutes are quite horrific, but so far it's a good story. I'll let you know what my full thoughts about it after I finish watching.

waterlilybarb
02-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Alright, I just finished watching it, and it was very intense. The battle scenes were all too realistic. It's a wonder that anyone comes out of battle like that with their sanity intact.

The movie itself I found to be well done. Paul Gross wrote, directed and starred in it, as well as co-wrote the song that was sung over the closing credits.

Having done some personal research of the material, the film is historically accurate in it's portrayal of the battle, the misunderstanding of the battalion leaving the company to hold the line, and the subsequent consequences. Apparently the character Michael Dunne is based loosely on Gross's grandfather, of the same name, - and the scene at the beginning of the film depicting his killing of the young, blue-eyed German soldier is a true depiction of one of his war experiences, which haunted him until he died.

While I'm not a huge fan of war films myself, and doubt I would watch this again (as I found the battle scenes quite disturbing), for the most part I enjoyed the story that was told. It was realistic - almost to a fault, but I didn't find the subject dealt with in a heavy handed manner, but rather matter of fact. The love story too was handled in a way that paid homage to the era. War often changes the morality that people live by, as it did then (during WW1), and this was also portrayed in the film.

I'd give it a 7/10.

gypsiegirl66
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh Barb Dear, did you not watch Skagerrak?? Maybe I should have read the comments here first. The first half hour, all I thought, was Barb what were you thinking? :eek:

It was a pretty socially irresponsible film, and not much of my taste. I did like the ending, and was happy that things worked out the way they did, in regards to the baby.

I'll be watching Passchendael (sp?), tomorrow, but if it's anything like this was...... Barb, we may have to take away your right to suggest movies......LOL :D(J/K)

Okay I'm off for a long hot......http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/shower.gif

momshothoney
02-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Passchendaele is a great movie showing the life of a soldier during the war.
the. Seeing it through the eyes of a Canadian soldier was especially interesting to me. Great first movie this is a good start.

momshothoney
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Skagerrak is a very low keyed movie, with that title I was expecting something more, but I did learn a new term.

Celticmaidn
02-22-2009, 05:08 AM
lol unfortunatly skagerrak was my suggestion. lol Please don't take away my suggestion rights. lol
How could that doctor live with commiting murder. At 5 months baby's have been known to survive outside the womb *Spoiler ahead but an abortion at 6 or 7 months, come on..

Celticmaidn
02-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I am watching Passchendaele now. Much better so far than our other choice. We may need to watch some Disney films to cleanse the pallet after these 2. :D I will check back after I am done with this one.
Be sure to check the Guilds main page to put in your votes for our next choices. :)

waterlilybarb
02-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I did read the info I could find on Skagerrak, and none of it mentioned that. If late stage abortion is part of the subject matter of Skagerrak, I'm giving it a miss. I know it would upset me to a disturbing degree. I still have nightmares about the few minutes of a film I saw in high school on the subject (I left the room as soon as I knew what the subject was - NO advance warning :mad: - and received an apology from the teacher).

I'm off to watch Wall-E. I still feel awful from this flu, and it might be more entertaining. Plus, I could use something light.

Celticmaidn
02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
** Spoiler no abortion was actually performed. But the subject is brought up.

Celticmaidn
02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok I just finished Passchendaele not a bad movie but not a favorite. I wish the ending was happier. :(

waterlilybarb
02-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I kind of did too, but I'm not one who needs the Hollywood traditional happy ending to see what's good in a movie (not saying you do either ;)).

**POSSIBLE SPOILER** - highlight to read

As for the end of Passchendaele, Dunne did keep her brother alive, and he returned home to his sister & his sweetheart, which I found to be the up side.

gypsiegirl66
02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
lol unfortunatly skagerrak was my suggestion. lol Please don't take away my suggestion rights. lol
How could that doctor live with commiting murder. At 5 months baby's have been known to survive outside the womb *Spoiler ahead but an abortion at 6 or 7 months, come on..

Okay, but you are definitely on probation....LOL :p

Skagerrak spoiler...
Yeah, if he had have gone through with it, that would have been strait out murder. :eek:

waterlilybarb
02-22-2009, 06:26 PM

I was in definite need of lighter material, so I watched Wall-E and The Accidental Husband today. Both were quite entertaining.

I give you back your suggestion rights (since gypsiegirl has taken them away LOL), but it would be good if some others chimed in with suggestions. If not, we're going to be either cast as villains or heroes for every movie we suggest. :rolleyes::D

gypsiegirl66
02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I was in definite need of lighter material, so I watched Wall-E and The Accidental Husband today. Both were quite entertaining.

I give you back your suggestion rights (since gypsiegirl has taken them away LOL), but it would be good if some others chimed in with suggestions. If not, we're going to be either cast as villains or heroes for every movie we suggest. :rolleyes::D

I reduced her sentence to probation......You two could never be villain's to me!! You're my girlie's :)
However, I will look around the site, and see if I can come up with a suggestion......

Then I'll be the villain....
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/angry.gif
Hehehe,oho!!!!

waterlilybarb
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
ROFLOL! You're too funny! :D

gypsiegirl66
02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Okay. I found one tha looks pretty good. I haven't seen it, but others may have.
If it's a repeat, to any of you, I can watch it on my own....

Veronica Guerin-
Veronica Guerin (Cate Blanchett), a real-life reporter for Dublin's Sunday Independent, delved into the netherworld of drug lords in pursuit of a great story -- but her zeal put her life in grave danger. Gerard McSorley and Brenda Fricker co-star in this Joel Schumacher-directed drama based on events in the acclaimed Irish journalist's life.

Celticmaidn
02-23-2009, 04:11 AM
I thought we were looking for lighter stuff?
lol
Is anyone else gonna watch the 2 we picked not that we suggest them. lol

waterlilybarb
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Okay. I found one tha looks pretty good. I haven't seen it, but others may have.
If it's a repeat, to any of you, I can watch it on my own....

Veronica Guerin-

I saw Veronica Guerin. I liked it, but it's definitely NOT a lighter movie. lol

gypsiegirl66
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I thought we were looking for lighter stuff?
lol
Is anyone else gonna watch the 2 we picked not that we suggest them. lol

I saw Veronica Guerin. I liked it, but it's definitely NOT a lighter movie. lol

Okay you two, no ganging up on me.....:(......I must've missed the lighter mood post.

No problemo, I'll keep looking.....:p

bala
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
if you want read my film discussion topic if you like this group :)

gypsiegirl66
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
bala- I don't think I've seen any of the films, you have posted.

On a lighter note, how about...
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button....Looks good.

Oh, and are we watching Slummdog millionaire?

redsoxpatriot30
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
bala- I don't think I've seen any of the films, you have posted.

On a lighter note, how about...
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button....Looks good.

Oh, and are we watching Slummdog millionaire?
Great movie and it's not really dark at all...just long so make sure you have time on your hands. I drove an hour away just to see it with my dad and missed the first 10 minutes...but I read a book containing the screenplay in Target. Great movie! I wouldn't mind seeing it again...and even if I didn't see it a second time, I could still discuss what I remember.

Celticmaidn
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Slummdog is heavy but well worth the watch and Benjamin button was good too So lets watch oscar movies next. :)

redsoxpatriot30
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Slummdog is heavy but well worth the watch and Benjamin button was good too So lets watch oscar movies next. :)
This year there weren't any "violent" films up for Best Picture. I know by Slumdog's rating that there is violence, but it's not the key theme. Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Reader and Milk weren't violent but a few touched on very sensitive subjects, especially The Reader. Rachel Getting Married, Frozen River, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Doubt (when it's added) and...what's another we could watch? Oh! Happy-Go-Lucky... I do know that the majority are R-rated and some of them I won't even consider watching, but anything that has a low R-rating (language), I can probably see. I'm sure it won't have as many uses of the F-word as Jersey Boys did...at least 20 times it was used in the Broadway prod. I was going to see Slumdog but never made it. So there's my very long post, but just suggestions...I wish there weren't so many R movies on this site...it's depressing to find that most of the updates are rated R... Consider Benjamin Button for all the people who didn't see it...an excellent film.

Last thing...we should consider past films that were nominated at the Oscars... So I guess this will be the theme for March?

waterlilybarb
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I saw Frozen River the other day. The movie was OK, but Melissa Leo's performance was very good, and she deserved the nomination. She won the Spirit Award for her performance - which was nice to see. I do want to see Frost/Nixon & Doubt. I like the idea of past Oscar nominated films. I've seen many, but I'm sure there are a lot I haven't. I'll have to do some digging for ones I'd like to see. :)