PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel Anyone?

m0viem0nster
02-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Can anyone suggest their favourite time travel films and, if they want, explain their reasons for the choice or put them up for discussion to argue the case?

My choices are:

Primer
12 Monkeys
Back to the Future (obviously)
The Terminator I & II & Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series
The Time Machine
Planet of the Apes
Deja Vu

waterlilybarb
02-15-2009, 07:37 AM
I give the thumbs up to:

Back to the Future
Planet of the Apes
Time Machine

**Caution - Spoilers, if you haven't seen some of these movies**
My other choices are:
Quantum Leap TV series: an interesting take on time travel...that one could only travel within they're own lifetime
Stargate Continuum: TV movie (pus all the SG1 episodes that dealt with time travel) - though I don't claim to be an expert, I actually got a better understanding of some of the theories of time travel
Somewhere In Time: just a really good, sappy movie :)
Peggy Sue Got Married: I liked it because it wasn't a sci-fi movie (though I love them) but a good story
Star Trek: Generations & First Contact: no explanation needed :p
Kate & Leopold: good chic flic; it also showed the affect changes in time could have on the future (Leopold hadn't invented the elevator yet - thus none of them worked in present day)
Disney's The Kid: I just really liked that movie...also, I like that it was 2 of the same person at different ages

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I have for now. :D

m0viem0nster
02-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I can't believe I forgot Star Trek :o
I liked the Quantum Leap series and Lost is turning out to be a terrific show involving time travel.

At certain points we weren't sure where it was heading or even if it was worth watching. Then it would come up with a really gripping episode and the hook was in. It is much improved since they started working to a conclusion and some of the earlier episodes have started to make more sense too.

I haven't seen The Kid & Somewhere In Time, but I did think of another chick flick one you might like "The Lake House"
:D

waterlilybarb
02-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I can't believe I forgot to add Lost to my list :o - probably because the time travel is new...though I've been an avid watcher form the start.

I have seen The Lake House, and really enjoyed it. It, too, was a unique take on time travel. :)

kahmeleone
02-16-2009, 01:16 AM
The Lake House with Kenau Reeves and Sandra Bullock.Serious sappy chick flick with traditional feel good ending.

m0viem0nster
02-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Still, it was an interesting slant on the time travel theme. Its not about whether or not the film is sappy.:p You could argue that ALL films that work out happy or fine are sappy.

I know everyone has an oppinion on films ie good or bad, but we can all be tolerant of other peoples choices and tastes, "vive le difference" and all that.:)

A case in point is the Tim Burton re-make of Planet Of The Apes. Many people didn't like it. I for one found it fascinating and the ending a real talking point. Even if that was the only real intention of the director, it certainly worked. There are tons of theories as to what the ending is all about.:confused:

You can argue all you like about whether the film was any good, but the fact that there are so many interpretations about how it ended up where it did is pure genius in my book.:)

But this thread is about time travel and how in film it is dealt with and thought out.

The film I think handles it in the best way of all is "Primer". Anyone else seen this? It might take a few viewings and can be a bit complicated, but I don't think I've seen one that quite matches its originality and logical handling of the time travel subject.

Lets get this film on Movies Online, it is a must!!! Pleeeeeease :D

Celticmaidn
02-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Bill and ted's excellent adventure is a classic.
Timeline was pretty good. At least I enjoyed it.
Groundhog Day was funny but now You find the concept done over and over.

m0viem0nster
02-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Bill and ted's excellent adventure is a classic.
Timeline was pretty good. At least I enjoyed it.
Groundhog Day was funny but now You find the concept done over and over.

Good choices there. Timeline was not too bad, but I think I was dissapointed because I had read the book first. I was looking forward to it when I knew it was to be a film. But it didn't live up to my idea. Thats what happens I guess.

Groundhog Day is a classic though kudos to Bill Murray.
Bill & Ted's first is also pretty good with a couple of fresh ideas for time travel.

Well done and thanks for your contribution.:D

shinny
02-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Ah yes Barb, Peggy Sue Got Married. I really liked that film too.

Back to the Future is one of my all time favourites. Probably just the first one though, it got a bit silly after that.

I did like the Lake House also even if Keanu was a bit wooden in it :p

I'm a big Terminator fan too. T3 was just truly awful, we'll forget about that "blip" !!! I am looking forward to the new one though!!

Donnie Darko

m0viem0nster
02-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeah good call, Donnie Darko :cool: I forgot that one too.

I agree about T3, thats why I included the TV series Sarah Connor Chronicles instead. Summer Glau is exceptional and the storylines are great. I can't wait for T4, just hope it stands up to the hype.

I've just thought of another time travel film (kinda) The Buterfly Effect. I haven't seen the second one, but the first, although some quite dark concepts, is still an interesting take on the time/space continuum.
:)

shinny
02-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Yeah good call, Donnie Darko :cool: I forgot that one too.

I agree about T3, thats why I included the TV series Sarah Connor Chronicles instead. Summer Glau is exceptional and the storylines are great. I can't wait for T4, just hope it stands up to the hype.

I've just thought of another time travel film (kinda) The Buterfly Effect. I haven't seen the second one, but the first, although some quite dark concepts, is still an interesting take on the time/space continuum.
:)

I'm a big Sarah Connor Chronicles fan also. Great show.

I haven't actually seen the Butterfly Effect. It doesn't get a great review on Rotten Tomatoes !

m0viem0nster
02-16-2009, 09:05 AM

I haven't actually seen the Butterfly Effect. It doesn't get a great review on Rotten Tomatoes !

How are you enjoying this 2nd season of Sarah Chronicles?

The Butterfly Effect isn't a GREAT movie, its ok, but I enjoyed the interference with time concept/actions & consequences. I've seen worse movies.

Even if a film has a bad review, I'm prepared to give it a go. I mean if I'm interested enough to find out more & hunt reviews etc, then the initial idea of the film must have made me wonder how it pans out. Then I'll make my own mind up. Also, maybe the reviewer just didn't like it.

Another film I've thought of is "Frequency". Anyone any thoughts?:)

Celticmaidn
02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
lol I really liked the butterfly effect. I guess I like rotten movies. :)

waterlilybarb
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I've seen Frequency and Primer. Both were interesting. Of the two, I like Frequency better as a movie.

Primer was recommended to me by my friend's husband. I found it quite complex in the way it took a simple plot and dealt with the paradoxes created by the guys' invention. It does take a couple viewings, but if you like obscure, hard to grasp movies - this is one you should see. It's also a good flic for anyone who finds the whole time travel subject as fascinating as I do. :)

m0viem0nster
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I've seen Frequency and Primer. Both were interesting. Of the two, I like Frequency better as a movie.

Primer was recommended to me by my friend's husband. I found it quite complex in the way it took a simple plot and dealt with the paradoxes created by the guys' invention. It does take a couple viewings, but if you like obscure, hard to grasp movies - this is one you should see. It's also a good flic for anyone who finds the whole time travel subject as fascinating as I do. :)

I agree, I prefer Frequency to Primer, but the whole complcations from a simple thing as a time travel box and the paradoxes it causes is handled extremely well in Primer. It wasn't just the plot, but the fact that it got you involved and thinking it through kinda appealed to me. I didn't know what they were talking about half the time, but then they were super intelligent (?) peeps who invented time travel. But then again, super intelligent peeps who invent time travel would have seen the ending coming......:confused::confused::confused:

...... frequency is a great film:o

shinny
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
How are you enjoying this 2nd season of Sarah Chronicles?

I'm really enjoying it, how about you?

m0viem0nster
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm really enjoying it, how about you?

Fantastic :D:cool:

What did you make of the last episode? Summer Glau really pulls it off & with humour too.

I can't quite work out the importance of the machines wanting the guy that would've opened the building dead though. Maybe this week it will be clearer.

phoenixj
02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
i was wondering if anyone was gonna mention this film
the concept of how you could affect your own life was brilliant
and the 2nd one was equally as good

aidamaxim
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Time-narrative travel - The fountain. A great movie. Everybody should watch it.
It is actually the case of a real time/vs/narrative time back and forth, all glassed by a self-image of the main character inside a static frame involving the tree of life.

Hypechic
02-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Timeline: Wasn't really that bad but since I'd read the book, it totally spoilt the movie for me.
The Lake House: Loved it...yeah it's a chick flick but I'm a closet romantic so sue me:D
Terminator 1, 2 and 3(not so good but since it's Terminator, I'll watch it any day).
Stargate Continuum(but then I'm a fan of all things stargate)
Deja Vu

thebest2k8
02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
pretty big fan of time travel movie and shows, but haven't watched sarah connor

m0viem0nster
02-17-2009, 01:58 AM
pretty big fan of time travel movie and shows, but haven't watched sarah connor

If you like Terminator 1 & 2 and are prepared to dismiss 3, then you must watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles (series 1 on R1 is best) series 2 is currently showing on Virgin 1 in England. I don't know when it is available on DVD/Blu-Ray.

gypsiegirl66
02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I have enjoyed....

Back to the Furure- 1st was my favorite
Somewhere in Timei I saw this as a teen, and fell in love with it.
Planet of the Apes- The ones from when I was a kid, haven't seen the new one.
Frequency- I love almost anything Dennis Quaid!
Deja Vu- Thought this was excellent!

I started watching Sarah Conner Chronicles, before I got sick, and must say got hooked almost instantly. I'm excited to see, how the rest of season 1 and 2 play out! Excellent show!! :D

m0viem0nster
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I have enjoyed....

Back to the Furure- 1st was my favorite
Somewhere in Timei I saw this as a teen, and fell in love with it.
Planet of the Apes- The ones from when I was a kid, haven't seen the new one.
Frequency- I love almost anything Dennis Quaid!
Deja Vu- Thought this was excellent!

I started watching Sarah Conner Chronicles, before I got sick, and must say got hooked almost instantly. I'm excited to see, how the rest of season 1 and 2 play out! Excellent show!! :D

You must see Tim Burtons Planet Of The Apes, then report back what you thought of the ending and how it was possible. I'd be interested in anybody's thoughts:D

Thanks for visiting the thread.:)

gypsiegirl66
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
You must see Tim Burtons Planet Of The Apes, then report back what you thought of the ending and how it was possible. I'd be interested in anybody's thoughts:D

Will add it to my list, of movies to watch, and let you know.
Thanks! :)

gypsiegirl66
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Wow, what a cool flick! As far as the ending, the only thing that I can think of............

Spoiler...Planet of the Apes
Is that when his ship went back through, the E/M storm, he entered some kind of parallel universe. Then, because of that, the controls on his ship brought him to a parallel Earth. I guess we'll see if they do a sequel, eh?

Thanks for suggesting it!! :cool:

thebest2k8
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
If you like Terminator 1 & 2 and are prepared to dismiss 3, then you must watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles (series 1 on R1 is best) series 2 is currently showing on Virgin 1 in England. I don't know when it is available on DVD/Blu-Ray.

i will definitely check that out, i wasn't a big fan of T3 anyways but the first 2 were amazing, im sure ill find it online

m0viem0nster
02-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Wow, what a cool flick! As far as the ending, the only thing that I can think of............

Spoiler...Planet of the Apes
Is that when his ship went back through, the E/M storm, he entered some kind of parallel universe. Then, because of that, the controls on his ship brought him to a parallel Earth. I guess we'll see if they do a sequel, eh?

Thanks for suggesting it!! :cool:

My pleasure :D

I don't think a sequel was ever going to be made. I think he made it that way on purpose to provoke opinions and theorise.

My theory is that when Leo returned to earth the year shown was something like 2155. At the beginning of the film, they are in 2029 and the initial leap through time takes him to 2684. So this means that at the end he is still nearly 130 years ahead of when he left. What we don't know is when the ship Leo left crashed. The mayday shows that they were quite old. So it would appear that over a relatively short period of time, the apes became the dominant species and were able to use the technology left by humans i.e. cars, guns, etc until those resources failed and the apes were unable to repair/invent. So maybe it was Earth all along...... Unless the other chimp that Leo went after had gone through a different path of time travel and Leo on his return through time crossed to the different timeline........ The possibilities are endless and it prompts a lot of discussion. I find it fascinating though.

Glad you enjoyed. Whatever you think of the film the ending does warrant a "HUH?? :confused::confused::confused:" response...

gypsiegirl66
02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Excellent points, and you are right the different scenarios are endless.

It's left me pondering, and I like that in a movie.http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/Thinking-1.gif

m0viem0nster
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Excellent points, and you are right the different scenarios are endless.

It's left me pondering, and I like that in a movie.http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/gypsiegirl66/Thinking-1.gif

I love that in a movie too.

Deja Vu did that for me and so does The Matrix (1st one) and Next.

The film Next really annoyed me when I saw it first. The ending I thought was lame. But then after I thought it out, I couldn't see any other way it could be finished. If you see the film from Cage's character POV then he is continuously working out different paths and routes without actually carrying them out, just to see the most favorable out-come. So the ending I thought I was watching, was only another scenario ......confusing, but I don't see another way to do it, there is always another way to do it. :confused:

Maybe that is the moral of the movie....... there is always another way!!!!

But I like films that make you think. :)

thebest2k8
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
i thought that Deja vu was one of the worst films created in my opinion, very bad story line, and not exciting what so ever

gypsiegirl66
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
i thought that Deja vu was one of the worst films created in my opinion, very bad story line, and not exciting what so ever

It's amazing how people see things differently. :)

Deja Vu, wasn't one of my favorites, but enjoyed it. I actually liked the story line, and thought the action was not bad.

m0viem0nster
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure you can call Deja Vu one of the worst films created :confused:
Not when the likes of "The Avengers", "The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension", "Howard The Duck", "Battlefield Earth", "My Little Pony: The End Of Flutter Valley" etc etc
just take a look at the thread "Films you wish you hadn't seen".

Deja Vu seemed to tie everything up at the end. Not a lot of time travel films do that,........
in my humble opinion.

Another great episode of Sarah Connor Chronicles tonight though, especially the funny from Summer Glau about the bear.... (you'd have to have see it to appreciate it).:)

m0viem0nster
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I think the best time travel movie ever made has got to be "The Terminator 6 Reboot, SkyNet Strikes Back" especially the bit where ......... uh oh, I've just realized what year I am in and this hasn't been done yet..... well let me assure you, it's an absolute blast......
no plot spoilers here folks:cool:

gypsiegirl66
02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I think the best time travel movie ever made has got to be "The Terminator 6 Reboot, SkyNet Strikes Back" especially the bit where ......... uh oh, I've just realized what year I am in and this hasn't been done yet..... well let me assure you, it's an absolute blast......
ROFLOL!! That was great!! :D

Hypechic
02-20-2009, 01:58 PM
ROTFL. That was hilarious.:D

Celticmaidn
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey I liked Battlefield Earth, but if you really want a waste of time My sisters wedding was waste and so is Eyes wide shut. I better go list those.

m0viem0nster
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey I liked Battlefield Earth, but if you really want a waste of time My sisters wedding was waste and so is Eyes wide shut. I better go list those.

I'm glad I wasn't invited to your sister's wedding then. I agree with Eyes Wide Shut though, but it is not a time travel film though, unless your eyes were indeed shut throughout Battlefield Earth whilst it was playing in reverse.!!! :confused:

Celticmaidn
02-21-2009, 05:20 AM
lol your a riot :D

m0viem0nster
02-21-2009, 08:04 AM
lol your a riot :D

Thank you very much....... or was that another film???

gypsiegirl66
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Okay, I just watched, The Matrix.... 1st time, I know I'm a bit behind. :o

What a awesome, movie!! That was so cool, at the end, how he saw everything clearly (not the illusion). :cool:

Can't wait to see the sequels, I hope they are as good as this was!!

m0viem0nster
02-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Okay, I just watched, The Matrix.... 1st time, I know I'm a bit behind. :o

What a awesome, movie!! That was so cool, at the end, how he saw everything clearly (not the illusion). :cool:

Can't wait to see the sequels, I hope they are as good as this was!!

Unfortunately, they are not as good as the first. It is hard sometimes to follow up a great film with sequels as the expectation is so high. I think there is a thread about sequels somewhere on this site.. I do have some favourite sequels though.

thebest2k8
02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately, they are not as good as the first. It is hard sometimes to follow up a great film with sequels as the expectation is so high. I think there is a thread about sequels somewhere on this site.. I do have some favourite sequels though.

yea totally agree with you the first one was a lot better then the two the followed it, i really hated number 2 when the the guy in white suit is talking for like 2 hours i think i fell a sleep lol

m0viem0nster
02-24-2009, 07:25 AM
yea totally agree with you the first one was a lot better then the two the followed it, i really hated number 2 when the the guy in white suit is talking for like 2 hours i think i fell a sleep lol

LOL !! Maybe when you are asleep, THAT IS the real world and being awake is when we are really asleep :confused:
There was too much mumbo jumbo in the matrix sequels, they could have done a much better job. Its not as if they had a bad start. Pressure from fans etc made the sequels rushed. I think they made them back to back and released them 6 months apart.

To be honest I don't think the First Matrix needed a sequel. It stands on its own.

thebest2k8
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
LOL !! Maybe when you are asleep, THAT IS the real world and being awake is when we are really asleep :confused:
There was too much mumbo jumbo in the matrix sequels, they could have done a much better job. Its not as if they had a bad start. Pressure from fans etc made the sequels rushed. I think they made them back to back and released them 6 months apart.

To be honest I don't think the First Matrix needed a sequel. It stands on its own.

lol :D
i totally agree, i would have been a happy fan if they left it at the first one, it was a very good story line, and i also agree i think they rushed the other two, and released them too fast

gypsiegirl66
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

Yep, they weren't even close to as good as the first one.

You're right, they were both made in 2003, way too rushed, and a very bad year for the Matrix!!

ptrwat
02-27-2009, 01:04 AM
ok i know im going kinda childish here but Meet the Robinsons was a good family flick... even the "twist" i saw coming miles away... just though i would bring it up

m0viem0nster
02-27-2009, 01:30 AM
ok i know im going kinda childish here but Meet the Robinsons was a good family flick... even the "twist" i saw coming miles away... just though i would bring it up

Good choice, not childish at all. :) I forgot about that one. It doesn't really matter what the film is as long as it does a half decent job of the theme of time travel.

I too saw the twist, but also, I wasn't disappointed either. Took a while to get going though.
:D:D:D

m0viem0nster
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Can anyone else remember The Time Tunnel T.V. series?

thebest2k8
03-06-2009, 10:17 PM

yeah i actually enjoyed that one to

m0viem0nster
03-29-2009, 01:40 AM
I don't really have anything to add, I just wanted to keep this thread going. I think it is a subject that can be revisited ...... ho ho ho

vortash
03-29-2009, 01:47 AM
The man from Gallifrey in his 11th Regeneration 950 years old , a man with two hearts and the intelligence of a planet ... it can only be the first time lord ..............The Doctor .. WHO !! .....................vortash

m0viem0nster
06-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Anyone watched the new Star Trek film?
Has anyone also noticed That JJ Abrams seems to have a common idea for time travel in his Films/TV programmes reflected in the likes of Fringe, Lost as well as the revisited Star Trek movie.
Rather brilliantly done. I like his theory of alternative futures and "what's done is done" & "Now is the present" type of ideas. It would seem to solve some of the paradox situations like, what if you went back in time and killed your Grandad scenarios.
Anyone else agree/disagree?
BTW I thought the new Star Trek film was crack-a-lackin'

waterlilybarb
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I have seen it, and do agree with your assessment of JJ's take on time travel. I really liked the movie too. :)

m0viem0nster
06-06-2009, 04:05 AM
I liked the way the familiar characters are introduced with some really recognizable traits of the members of the crew from the original series. Interesting take on young Spock's emotional struggle and coming to terms with his "human" side (plus he really looks the part). Not sure about Simon Pegg's interpretation of Scotty though. As for the rest of the crew, spot on especially Kirk's never say die risk taker. Villains were pretty good too. I'm looking forward to the next one.:cool:

waterlilybarb
06-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I definitely agree with your whole assessment. Each of the younger characters was well done in showing traits of the characters we already know - I even liked young Scotty. I would really like to see another in the series, as long as they do as good a job. The actors were well cast for the part...even the kid who played the very young Spock.

m0viem0nster
06-07-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree with you, it needs to be worth doing rather than just for the sake of it to cash in. This seems to be the trouble with the Star Trek franchise in that not all the films are done to a high standard. Not the effects so much, but the stories. As long as JJ Abrams is director again I believe he would do a great job again. He doesn't seem to have put a foot wrong with anything he's been involved with yet.
:cool:

waterlilybarb
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Had to find this thread as I just rewatched Somewhere in Time after many years of not seeing it. It is a good sappy movie, AND it fits the time travel theme, but I HATED the ending. I had forgotten how it ended and, either my taste has changed completely or my expectations for time travel in movies is higher now, but the ending was sucky. Bummed me out as I thought I knew what I was in for.

I hate it when that happens! :(

Cirkuz
08-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Does 17 Again count as a Time-travel movie? I mean he does in fact travel in time :P Really awesome movie that xD

m0viem0nster
08-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Does 17 Again count as a Time-travel movie? I mean he does in fact travel in time :P Really awesome movie that xD

I'm afraid I haven't seen that film, but if you are sure that he travels through time then I will take your word for it.

Thanks for your contribution. Can you think of any others that haven't been mentioned in this thread? Maybe we should start another one entitled "Spot The Paradox" then argue the case for plausibility or just plain impossible.......