PDA

View Full Version : St Patrick's Day

stardaz
02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
How about some irish movies for St. Patties Day.

waterlilybarb
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Query?

Do you mean films with Irish actors or films set in Ireland? Just curious. :)

shinny
02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I like it. And being Irish myself, I think adding "Irish" films for Paddy's day is a great idea !!

We already have Michael Collins (although for me Julia Roberts ruins the film!)

Here are some of my top choices:

Circle of Friends
The Commitments
In the Name of the Father
The Wind that shakes the Barley
The Quiet Man
My Left Foot
The Snapper
Evelyn
The Field

That's all I can think of for now :p

Braveheart is obviously about Scotland, but it was filmed in Ireland.

waterlilybarb
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I love your selection. The Quiet Man, My Left Foot & In the Name of the Father are a few favourites - for completely different reasons.

Another couple that I enjoy are:

Waking Ned Devine (maybe because it's one of our family names - Uncle Ned could have left it to me - LOL)
The Secret of Roan Inish

Celticmaidn
02-07-2009, 05:50 PM
The secret of roan inish
the matchmaker
Far and away one of my favorites
Angela's Ashes

shinny
02-08-2009, 01:51 AM
I actually liked Far and Away despite the terrible accents from both Nicole and Tom, but Tom's was just that bit worse!

bool
02-08-2009, 04:44 AM
i don't like irish movies... i can't understand :confused: their english :D...though english is not my native language i can easily understand american english and english of some british...

Celticmaidn
02-08-2009, 05:15 AM
i don't like irish movies... i can't understand :confused: their english :D...though english is not my native language i can easily understand american english and english of some british...

It's just like shakespear, watch it long enough and it all becomes clear. ;)

shinny
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Give me an example of one you couldn't understand?

waterlilybarb
02-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I actually liked Far and Away despite the terrible accents from both Nicole and Tom, but Tom's was just that bit worse!

I totally agree...though Tom's antics in the past couple of years have ruined any of the films he was in that I actually liked. As for the accent side of it, I don't understand why they don't hire a good dialect coach to teach them the proper accent of where they are supposed to be from. :confused: Though even with coaching some people just don't have an ear for them. I wonder if some of those people are also tone deaf when it comes to singing?

thebest2k8
02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
i think that would be a good idea to get some movies on here for st. pattys day

waterlilybarb
02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I know it's not really a celebratory film, but Bloody Sunday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280491/) was very well done. James Nesbitt gives a great performance in this informative, and (as the title suggests) somewhat violent film.

shinny
02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I know it's not really a celebratory film, but Bloody Sunday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280491/) was very well done. James Nesbitt gives a great performance in this informative, and (as the title suggests) somewhat violent film.

I agree, it really captured that horrible moment in time.

Did you know that this is actually the second Bloody Sunday in Irish history? The first was this => Bloody Sunday 1920 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1920))

waterlilybarb
02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I did, but Irish history is an interest of mine - especially because I have family from Northern Ireland.

thebest2k8
02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
bloody sunday is a good movie hope to see it on here soon

shinny
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I did, but Irish history is an interest of mine - especially because I have family from Northern Ireland.

Yeh, what part do they hail from? I have to say that I love the NI accent. It's one of my favourites :D

waterlilybarb
02-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Yeh, what part do they hail from?

County Down...I can't remember which town. :)

gypsiegirl66
02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Shinny, thank for the recommendations. I've seen a couple of these films, and enjoyed them very much. I look forward to checking the others out.

Barb, I totally agree with you, in regards to Tom's antics.....:eek:

shinny
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
County Down...I can't remember which town. :)

We travel up to Newry (which is in Co Down) now and again to get the cheaper prices on food, clothes etc, because sterling is quite weak against the euro at the moment. It's the closest Major Town to Dublin.

We're going to Belfast for my future sister in laws Hen party in July. I believe Belfast is a fantastic city, so I can't wait !

shinny
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Shinny, thank for the recommendations. I've seen a couple of these films, and enjoyed them very much. I look forward to checking the others out.

Barb, I totally agree with you, in regards to Tom's antics.....:eek:

Hey gypsie, you are more than welcome :)