PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide what flim to watch?

bala
02-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm find this very difficult because of the fact that half the films on this site i have never heard of so during the trial period i watch them and didn't care whether the film was good or bad i just watch them but from update onwards I'm being very picky and it's hard to make a decision, today i just wasted half an hour trying to decide which action film i want to watch and i couldn't decide. i use you tube to look for the trailer film i don't know to help with the decision.:)

Does anyone have any advise for me :)

Celticmaidn
02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
I decide by my mood, What am I in the mood to watch, then I read the desciption and sometimes like you watch the trailers. Then I watch the film. But some how my little one has taken over the movies. we watched underdog, ratatouli, madagascar and fly me to the moon last week. so no need to look at anything for those. :)

Hypechic
02-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I usually google the movie, read the synopsis on Wikipedia or reviews on IMDB then decide to watch or not. Have wanted to watch a couple of movies because the titles made them sound great but after a little research, changed my mind.:D

thebest2k8
02-07-2009, 01:21 PM
yeah usually what mood i am in, and what type(genre) of movie i feel like watching, and usually i like watching movies i haven't seen or heard of it, just to get a feel for all types

elgny
02-15-2009, 11:53 PM
yeah i think the rest might be geusts

redsoxpatriot30
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Since I used to be a film guru before my TV addiction, I have seen 75% of the covers and I have a vague idea of whether it would be a good movie or not for me to see. R-rated movies are out of the question, but they only count for maybe 35%? Action movies are usually my type of movies, but I'll go for a comedy also.

thebest2k8
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
im a big fan of comedy

gypsiegirl66
02-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm a big fan of crime movies, political fiction, movies that have some historical reference (not documentary, unless it's a subject I'm really interested in), action movies, some Sci-fi, and the occasional comedy.

How I pick what I'm going to watch, it's all in the plot description. A lot of the time, I can tell by the cover (and title), if I'm not going to like a move (and don't have to go any further).

m0viem0nster
02-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Most of the time, you can rely on a good performance by a quality actor or the good reputation of the Director.

If there is a particular style of a Director or someone you have enjoyed watching in previous films, then the chances are that you will be interested in checking out their next film. That is probably the deciding factors for me.

Plot can always sound good on the back of the DVD or write-up (I mean what Dufus is gonna put on the back of the DVD, "This isn't a good movie, Avoid at all cost!!!"). They are all going to say "Brilliant, Must see, Outstanding" even if it isn't.

But at the end of the day its the interpretation of both Actors and Director that counts. If those are done well, they can make the most boring plot work. But you don't know until you've seen it. But the reputations of both Actors & Director are going to greatly influence whether or not you try it.

Of course there may well have been a book that you read & enjoyed which has been adapted to film, that may help me decide to try. Also some people like a certain genre.

I find it helpful when critics recommend films based on whether you enjoyed similar.

gypsiegirl66
02-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Most of the time, you can rely on a good performance by a quality actor or the good reputation of the Director.

If there is a particular style of a Director or someone you have enjoyed watching in previous films, then the chances are that you will be interested in checking out their next film. That is probably the deciding factors for me.

Plot can always sound good on the back of the DVD or write-up (I mean what Dufus is gonna put on the back of the DVD, "This isn't a good movie, Avoid at all cost!!!"). They are all going to say "Brilliant, Must see, Outstanding" even if it isn't.

But at the end of the day its the interpretation of both Actors and Director that counts. If those are done well, they can make the most boring plot work. But you don't know until you've seen it. But the reputations of both Actors & Director are going to greatly influence whether or not you try it.

Of course there may well have been a book that you read & enjoyed which has been adapted to film, that may help me decide to try. Also some people like a certain genre.

I find it helpful when critics recommend films based on whether you enjoyed similar.

Totally agree on looking for movies of actors & directors, that I've liked from previous films. I use that, as a tool also.
I wasn't really talking about, things like, "riveting, excellent, best picture of the year". Mostly just the basic plot description, of what the movie is about. I can tell if it's something I "might" like (or not), from that..:)

m0viem0nster
02-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Totally agree on looking for movies of actors & directors, that I've liked from previous films. I use that, as a tool also.
I wasn't really talking about, things like, "riveting, excellent, best picture of the year". Mostly just the basic plot description, of what the movie is about. I can tell if it's something I "might" like (or not), from that..:)

I agree with what you say, I wasn't in any way criticizing what you said. After all we are all entitled to an opinion. But we seem to agree on stuff. :D:D:D;)

gypsiegirl66
02-21-2009, 03:07 AM
I agree with what you say, I wasn't in any way criticizing what you said. After all we are all entitled to an opinion. But we seem to agree on stuff. :D:D:D;)

No, I didn't think you were. I just thought you misunderstood, what I was saying.

It's all good here! :)

m0viem0nster
02-21-2009, 03:18 AM
No, I didn't think you were. I just thought you misunderstood, what I was saying.

It's all good here! :)

No, I understood, just not too good at expressing myself sometimes. Besides, it was a criticism of the back cover of DVDs, in that they all say how brilliant they are, when in fact it couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know what else they could do except say something like " see this if you loved......" and then a list of about 2 or 3 other films.

Seen anything good lately?

gypsiegirl66
02-21-2009, 06:24 AM
No, I understood, just not too good at expressing myself sometimes. Besides, it was a criticism of the back cover of DVDs, in that they all say how brilliant they are, when in fact it couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know what else they could do except say something like " see this if you loved......" and then a list of about 2 or 3 other films.

Seen anything good lately?

Ahhh, now I understand....it takes me a while to catch on..;)

That would be great, if they would do that. Another thing that I do. I have Netfli*, I went through the site, rating movies I have already seen. Then they take my top rated picks, along with what is in my queue, and pop out a list of movies based on my taste. Of course, that only works for movies, that are out on DVD.It works good for finding movies to watch, on this site also.

I haven't been to the movies in quite a while. I did see End Game recently (on DVD). I thought that, was quite good.

m0viem0nster
02-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Ahhh, now I understand....it takes me a while to catch on..;)

That would be great, if they would do that. Another thing that I do. I have Netfli*, I went through the site, rating movies I have already seen. Then they take my top rated picks, along with what is in my queue, and pop out a list of movies based on my taste. Of course, that only works for movies, that are out on DVD.It works good for finding movies to watch, on this site also.

I haven't been to the movies in quite a while. I did see End Game recently (on DVD). I thought that, was quite good.

I haven't seen End Game, I'll look it up. I'll also look up that other thing you mentioned, is that supposed to be Netflick, or is what you typed correct?