PDA

View Full Version : 3d or not 3d

m0viem0nster
05-06-2010, 06:29 AM
With all the furore surrounding 3D, I expect that most people would have at least seen Avatar or Alice in Wonderland by now. My appologies to the half dozen or so of the worlds population who have not yet experienced this phenomenom.:)

I was just wondering what all your thoughts were on it. Has 3D enhanced your enjoyment of the film, or does it detract and distract from the plot/acting etc? And what about the crazy prices you have to fork out for the chance to see things coming at you and falling in your lap?:eek:

I for one enjoyed the experience of Avatar, but it did distract and detract from the movie. 3D movie making has moved on leaps and bounds and I was glad to see that this one did not have that washed out look that some others seemed to have (Journey to the Center of the Earth). But I do not think that the movie was as good as its box office takings suggests. Some people have described Avatar as Pochahontas in space or a remake of Ferngully. I'm not sure about that, but the acting and plot was predictable. Maybe that was why the director felt the need to take our attention away from that by making it 3D.....;)

In my opinion, the price of admission should be the same for 2D or the 3D version. The experience of 3D does not warrant hoiking up the prices to 2 or 3 times the price. The film studio's were going to make their money back because of all the fuss made, people were going to flock to see the movie. What about people with impared vision, do they feel like they are unfairly missing out on the experience being offered to those of us with both our eyes intact?

Agree or disagree?

These are just my opinions, feel free to add yours. I just thought I'd put this out for discussion.

waterlilybarb
05-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I honestly haven't seen any 3D movies in years, so don't have an opinion one way or another. I do think the price of admission should be the same - as the prices are already astronomical...which is one reason I rarely go to the movies.

Interesting topic though - and timely. :)

ritac-p
05-07-2010, 04:44 AM
I agree that the plot wasn't brilliant but I watched Avatar 3D 4 times at the cinema, I'd never seen 3D before and was mesmerised by the scenery, but I will admit by the 4th time I was a little disinterested!!!!

Then at the weekend I bought the DVD, OMG!!!! the colours are amazing and there was so much that I missed in the cinema it was like watching a different film, technically when you watch it in 3D in the cinema you are basically sitting in a dark room with sunglasses on.

I won't say that I'll not watch 3D again it will depend on the film but at the moment Hi Def 2D suits me fine.:)

m0viem0nster
05-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I agree that the plot wasn't brilliant but I watched Avatar 3D 4 times at the cinema, I'd never seen 3D before and was mesmerised by the scenery, but I will admit by the 4th time I was a little disinterested!!!!

Then at the weekend I bought the DVD, OMG!!!! the colours are amazing and there was so much that I missed in the cinema it was like watching a different film, technically when you watch it in 3D in the cinema you are basically sitting in a dark room with sunglasses on.

I won't say that I'll not watch 3D again it will depend on the film but at the moment Hi Def 2D suits me fine.:)

It was my first time watching 3D at the cinema too, I also bought the Blu-ray.... absolutely stunning to watch. (I hear that later this year there will be an extended release :mad: groan). You can certainly pay more attention to the plot and acting in 2D.

I also agree with you about being selective about what I will choose to see in 3D, the Piranha 3D looks fun though..:)

shinny
05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
It was my first time watching 3D at the cinema too, I also bought the Blu-ray.... absolutely stunning to watch. (I hear that later this year there will be an extended release :mad: groan). You can certainly pay more attention to the plot and acting in 2D.

I also agree with you about being selective about what I will choose to see in 3D, the Piranha 3D looks fun though..:)

I've yet to watch Avatar 2D but having read the above comments, I think I'll be doing that soon!!