PDA

View Full Version : What is the ideal length for a movie?

bala
01-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm curious about this, Does it make a diffrence how long a movie is?

For me I think ideal time for a movie has to be between 90-105 minutes.:cool:

waterlilybarb
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
For most movies, I agree, but some movies need to be longer in order to tell the story. I find if it's done well that I don't notice a movie runs long. On the other hand, if it's not an interesting enough story, it seems too long no matter the running time.

bala
01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
That's the problem, some of movies really do need to be longer to tell the story i can't imagine Titanic beeing made into a 90 minute movie however I would be curious to see how that would be done. What would you cut off from the actual movie to make it 90 minutes?. Now you got the wheels spinning in my head.

waterlilybarb
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think you could cut anything from that movie and tell the story properly. I saw it in the theater and it didn't feel like it was too long at all - the time flew by.

I saw a documentary the other day about another film and it was over 4 hours long. I haven't seen the film, but no one who saw it felt it was too long. The director said that had they cut even 20 minutes from the film it would have felt longer because it would have eliminated important parts of the story. I think as long as one knows ahead of time how long a movie is (so you can make sure you have the time to invest) then it's alright.

shinny
01-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Gone with the wind is 224 minutes long :eek: Now that's long!!

Agree, there are some films that don't seem like they are that long at all because you are so engrossed in them!

Avatar is 2.5 hrs long and I honestly didn't feel the time going by whilst I watched it.

Epic films generally have to be longer than the norm.

mekaty
01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
I agree with waterlilybarb that time is not a big factor...if a movie is good then it doesn't matter how long it is (titanic)..but if it is bad then every min tortures...

bala
01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
ok for me if i only have 2 hours free, I want to watch a movie, i don't want to end up click a movie that longer which i perfer movies between 90-105 minutes. I agree if the movie is good it doesn't matter. :)